What is the force required to bring a roller coaster to a stop at point E?

In summary, the conversation discusses the force required to bring an object to a stop at point E on a frictionless roller coaster. The height at point A is 95m, point C is 65m, and point D is 25m. The equation Et = Ek + Ep is used to find the kinetic energy at each point, and the work kinetic energy theorem is suggested as a possible solution for finding the force. However, without a given distance or time, it is difficult to calculate the force accurately. The use of F = mg is also considered, but it is not applicable in this scenario.
tascja
Force and Energy Question!

Homework Statement

the force that must be applied to bring it to a stop at point E
(this is only one part of a multi-part question - the rest of the information: Consider the frictionless rollar coaster. The height at A (the start of the rollar coaster) is 95m, it is downward and then upward to C, at 65m high, then down again and then up again to 25m at D until a downward slope to a stop at ground level, point E.
[sorry for the written explanation, but a picture needs approval - takes too long lol]

Homework Equations

Et = Ek + Ep
W = Fd
W = Ek

The Attempt at a Solution

Et = Ek + Ep
Ek = Et - Ep
Ek = Et - 0
Ek = 11172000 J {calculated in previous question}

W = Fd
F = W/d
F = Ek/d
F = 11172000 J/ ?

** so my dilemma is that it does not give me the distance in the question. Is there any other equations or methods that I could use instead to solve for the force??
My thanks for your help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

tascja said:
so my dilemma is that it does not give me the distance in the question. Is there any other equations or methods that I could use instead to solve for the force??

Try using the work kinetic energy thm which states that
[tex]\Delta[/tex]W =[tex]\Delta[/tex]K.E

but then how will i find F (force)?? because Ek = 1/2mv^2

How did you figure out Ek if you are not given the mass of the object?

i am given mass, sorry i forgot to include it, its 12000 kg
so:

Ek = Et - Ep
Ek = 11172000 - mgh
Ek = 11172000 - (12000)(9.8)(65)
Ek = 3528000 J

ok I see, so you found the potential energy on top of the 95 m hill and then found the kinetic energy on the 65 m hill. You need to do this again for the 25 m hill, and finally find the final speed of the cart.

hmm, you're not given the stopping distance? Nor the time it takes for the cart to stop? Is there any other information at all?

Maybe the stopping distance can be determined from your diagram. Try to upload it or take a closer look yourself.

no distance is given and no stopping time but ill upload a picture of the track

What if i were to just use F=mg, because it is a downward slope plus there is no friction acting on it to consider?

hmm afraid not because F = mg is the equation for free-fall but the object here is certainly not in free fall and is therefore not accelerating at -9.8 m/s^2

Related to What is the force required to bring a roller coaster to a stop at point E?

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that causes an object to accelerate or change its motion. It can be described as a push or pull on an object. Force is measured in Newtons (N).

What are the different types of forces?

The different types of forces include gravitational force, electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Other types of forces include tension, compression, friction, and applied force.

What is energy?

Energy is the ability of a system to do work. It is a scalar quantity that can be measured in Joules (J). There are many different forms of energy, such as kinetic, potential, thermal, electrical, and chemical energy.

What is the relationship between force and energy?

Force and energy are closely related. Force is required to do work and transfer energy from one object to another. When a force acts upon an object and causes it to move, energy is transferred from the object doing the work to the object upon which the work is done.

How is the conservation of energy related to force?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. In relation to force, this means that the work done by a force is equal to the change in energy of the system.