Force and torque on a wire carrying a current

In summary, when calculating the net force and torque on a wire carrying current in a non-uniform magnetic field, you must divide the wire into small pieces and integrate the forces and torque on each piece over the length of the wire. This takes into account the variable magnetic field and ensures that the correct answer is obtained.
theKeeblerElf

Homework Statement

A wire along the x-axis carries current I in the negative x-direction through the magnetic field
[tex]\vec{}B[/tex] = B0*(x/L) [tex]\hat{}k[/tex] 0[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]L
= 0 elsewhere

Part a was to draw a graph of B versus x over the interval -L[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]L, which I did.

b. Find an expression for the net force F_{\rm net} on the wire. Express your answer in terms of the variables I, L, and B0

c. Find an expression for the net torque on the wire about the point x = 0.
Express your answer in terms of the variables I, L, and B0

Homework Equations

Fnet=I*L*B*sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\tau[/tex]net=I*L2*B*sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that because I is carried in the -[tex]\hat{}i[/tex] direction and B points in the [tex]\hat{}k[/tex] direction that [tex]\alpha[/tex]=90 degrees, meaning I would be multiplying by 1. However, for both parts, when I submit I*L*B0 and I*L2*B0, respectively, the website says "Your answer either contains an incorrect numerical multiplier or is missing one."

For part b I've tried submitting -I*L*B0 because actually calculating I[tex]\hat{}L[/tex] X [tex]\hat{}B[/tex] yields a negative answer, but that didn't work either.

I've also tried to use x in my answer, and the website says the correct answer doesn't depend on it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
theKeeblerElf said:
Fnet=I*L*B*sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\tau[/tex]net=I*L2*B*sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]

This is only true when the magnetic field is constant over the length of the wire. More generally, you will have to divide the wire into pieces [itex]d\textbf{l}[/itex] so small that the magnetic field is effectively constant/uniform over the length of the piece, calculate the force on each piece:

[tex]d\textbf{F}=Id\textbf{l}\times\textbf{B}[/tex]

and then add up (integrate) all these little forces:

[tex]\textbf{F}=\int Id\textbf{l}\times\textbf{B}[/tex]

You must do something similar for the torque.

1. What is force and torque on a wire carrying a current?

Force and torque on a wire carrying a current are two related concepts in physics. Force refers to the push or pull on an object, while torque refers to the rotational force applied to an object. In the case of a wire carrying a current, the force and torque are caused by the interaction between the magnetic field created by the current and the magnetic field in which the wire is located.

2. How is the force and torque on a wire carrying a current calculated?

The force on a wire carrying a current can be calculated using the formula F = I * L * B * sinΘ, where I is the current, L is the length of the wire, B is the magnetic field, and Θ is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field. The torque on the wire can be calculated using the formula T = I * L * B * sinΘ * d, where d is the distance from the wire to the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect the force and torque on a wire carrying a current?

The force and torque on a wire carrying a current are affected by several factors, including the strength of the current, the length of the wire, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the wire and the magnetic field. Additionally, the material of the wire and the medium in which the wire is located can also affect the force and torque.

4. What is the direction of the force and torque on a wire carrying a current?

The direction of the force and torque on a wire carrying a current can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the right-hand thumb points in the direction of the current, the fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm will face the direction of the force and torque.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding force and torque on a wire carrying a current?

Understanding force and torque on a wire carrying a current is essential in many fields, such as electrical engineering, electromagnetics, and physics. It is used in the design and operation of motors, generators, and other electrical devices. It is also crucial in studying electromagnetic induction and the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field.