Calculating Normal Force, Acceleration, and Work in a Force and Work Problem

In summary: You have the right equation, but you need to use the correct value for the normal force. What is it?c) Your equation is correct, but your calculation is not. Remember, the work done by the child is equal to the total force multiplied by the distance over which it is applied. So it should be 55cos20 X 7 = 361.78J.
logglypop
A child pulls a 15kg sled containing a 5kg dog along a straight path on a horizontal surface. He exerts a force of a 55N on the sled at an angle of 20 degree above the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the sled and the surface is 0.22 .
Find:a) normal force of the surface on the system , b) the acceleration of system, c) the work done by the child as the system move 7m.
This is how i approach them

a)normal force = Force of the child exert - Force of friction
55cos20 - .22( (15+5)9.8 ) = 8.563 N

b)normal force= ma
8.563N = ( 15+5 )a
a=.428m/s^2

c)W=Fd W=8.563(7)= 59.94J

give me suggest if I am make a mistake

Physics news on Phys.org
logglypop said:
A child pulls a 15kg sled containing a 5kg dog along a straight path on a horizontal surface. He exerts a force of a 55N on the sled at an angle of 20 degree above the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the sled and the surface is 0.22 .
Find:a) normal force of the surface on the system , b) the acceleration of system, c) the work done by the child as the system move 7m.
This is how i approach them

a)normal force = Force of the child exert - Force of friction
55cos20 - .22( (15+5)9.8 ) = 8.563 N

You will need to think carefully about the vertical and horizontal components of the forces for this one. What you are calling the "normal force" here is the net horizontal force; the normal force is perpendicular to the horizontal surface.

While the force of kinetic friction is (mu_k)·(normal force), the normal force is not going to be equal in magnitude to the weight force of the dog and sled. What is the complete list of forces that contribute a vertical component?

ah i see
the normal force on level surface is mg,so
a) F= 20(9.8) = 196N

B)
fk=ma
55cos20 - .22( (15+5)9.8 ) = 20a
a=.428 m/s^2

c)
W=Fd
55cos20 X 7= 361.78J

logglypop said:
ah i see
the normal force on level surface is mg,so
a) F= 20(9.8) = 196N

The normal force would be equal to mg, if it weren't for the fact that there is another vertical force component acting on the sled. What is it?

1. What is the definition of force and work?

Force is a physical quantity that causes an object to accelerate or change its motion. Work is the product of force and displacement, and is a measure of the energy transferred to or from an object.

2. How is force related to work?

Force is directly related to work, as work is defined as the product of force and displacement. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the more work is done on that object.

3. What are the units of force and work?

The SI unit of force is the Newton (N), while the SI unit of work is the Joule (J). Other common units of force include pound-force (lbf) and kilogram-force (kgf), while other units of work include foot-pound (ft-lb) and kilogram-meter (kg-m).

4. How can I calculate the amount of work done by a force?

The amount of work done by a force can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance over which the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement.

5. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, meaning the object loses energy. For example, when a car brakes, the friction force applied by the brakes is in the opposite direction of the car's motion, resulting in a negative work done on the car.