Force Applied at an Angle to an Object on Frictionless Surface

In summary, the horizontal surface is frictionless and a force of 20 N is applied 30° to the horizontal. Using the equation F=ma, the resulting acceleration of the block with a mass of 5.0 kg is calculated to be 7.5 m/s^2 when considering the horizontal force component. This is the correct answer, as the normal force and weight are ignored due to the frictionless surface.
jpsmith394

Homework Statement

The horizontal surface on which the block slides is frictionless. If F = 20 N and M = 5.0 kg, what is the magnitude of the resulting acceleration of the block? The force is applied 30° to the horizontal.

Homework Equations

[itex]F=ma[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by ignoring the weight and normal force in the vertical axis (y-axis) because the surface is frictionless. Then my next step is to separate the force into compenets with [itex]F_{x}=Fcos\theta[/itex]

Therefore:
[itex]ƩF_{x}=Fcos\theta = ma_{x}[/itex]

So:
[itex]a_{x}=\frac{Fcos\theta}{m}[/itex]

And using the given numbers I got a solution of 3.46[itex]\frac{m}{s^2}[/itex]
But the online system I am using shows the correct answer as 7.5[itex]\frac{m}{s^2}[/itex]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-28 at 6.19.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-28 at 6.19.51 PM.png
    12 KB · Views: 1,602
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi jpsmith394! welcome to pf! :smile:

erm :redface: … you forgot the other F, in front! :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi jpsmith394! welcome to pf! :smile:

erm :redface: … you forgot the other F, in front! :wink:

Oh gosh I see now, I was just stuck thinking it was just a single force

Thanks,
James

1. What is the definition of "force applied at an angle"?

Force applied at an angle refers to a force that is not directly in line with the object's motion. This means that the force is acting at an angle to the object's direction of movement.

2. How does the angle of force applied affect an object on a frictionless surface?

The angle of force applied can affect the direction and speed of the object's motion on a frictionless surface. Depending on the angle, the object may move in a curved or straight path.

3. What is a frictionless surface and how does it impact the force applied at an angle?

A frictionless surface is a hypothetical surface that has no resistance to motion. This means that there is no force acting against the object's movement, so the force applied at an angle will have a greater impact on the object's motion.

4. How is the force applied at an angle calculated?

The force applied at an angle can be calculated using trigonometry. The force can be broken down into its horizontal and vertical components, and then the Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the magnitude of the force.

5. What are some real-life examples of force applied at an angle on a frictionless surface?

Some real-life examples of force applied at an angle on a frictionless surface include a hockey puck being hit with a stick, a ball rolling down a curved ramp, or a satellite orbiting around a planet.