Force (Can someone check what I did wrong)

• Thread starter Josh123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation revolves around a posted image on photobucket that includes a loop rotated around the Y-axis at a 60 degree angle with the X-Y plane. The loop has sides of 0.05 m and B field in the +z direction. The goal is to find the Force on side A-B, which is parallel to the Y-axis and at 90 degrees from the B-field. The correct angle to consider is not 30 degrees from B, but the angle between the plane of the loop and the B-field. The bottom wire is the one that is 30 degrees from B.
Josh123
Can you tell me what I did wrong.

I posted it on photobucket:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/LianaBlank/img003.bmp

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you magnify it a bit?
It is difficult to read the text.

Well, it's a little bigger, but still kind of small

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/LianaBlank/cc5a5559.bmp

Basically, I know that
I = 5 A
B= 0.5 T
the sides of the loop are 0.05 m long
The loopp was rotated around the Y axis and makes a 60 degree angle with the X-Y plane

I must find the Force on side A-B.

My answer (0.0625) is 1/2 of the correct answer (0.125).

Last edited by a moderator:
If the B field is in the + z direction, then what's the angle between that B-field and side a-b? It's not 60 degrees!

I used 30 degrees (angle between B and A-B)... Is that correct?

Josh123 said:
No, it's not. (For some reason I thought you used 60 degrees... sorry about that!) Hint: the line A-B is parallel to the Y-axis.

Josh123 said:
Note that 30 degrees is the angle that the plane of the loop makes with the B-field. It is not the angle between the B-field and the line segment A-B!

Oh ok. It's at 90 degrees from B then. That makes more sense. Basically, the side that is 30 degrees from B is the bottom wire right?

Thanks for your help

You got it.

What is force?

Force is a push or pull on an object that causes it to change its velocity or direction of motion.

How is force measured?

Force is measured in units called Newtons (N) using a device called a spring scale or a force meter. One Newton is equal to the amount of force needed to accelerate a 1 kilogram object at a rate of 1 meter per second squared.

What are the different types of forces?

There are four main types of forces: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Other common types of forces include friction, tension, and normal force.

What is Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental laws that describe how objects move. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How does force affect motion?

Force causes objects to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction. The greater the force applied, the greater the change in motion. Additionally, the direction of the force determines the direction of the object's motion.