Force Diagram Assistance - please

In summary, the conversation is about a practice assessment on mechanics and structures. The first question involves calculating the forces for all members of a frame using the method of joint principle, which has been completed and deemed acceptable. The second question is about constructing a force diagram for the same frame, and the individual is asking for assistance as they are still stuck. The attached triangle and answers are referenced. There is confusion about the notation used for forces, specifically whether the - symbol indicates tension or compression.
gordy52
Hey all.

I have a practice assessment on mechanics and structures.

question 1one was to calculate mathematically using the method of joint principle the magnitude and nature of the forces for all members of each frame. I have completed this part and the answers are acceptable.

But for question two I am asked to construct a force diagram of the same pin jointed frame. I have looked at force diagrams and even asked for assistance for I am still stuck, any assistance would be very much appreciated.

The triangle and answers from Question 1 are attached

Thank You.

Attachments

• forcediagraminfo.jpg
    forcediagraminfo.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused about your notation. Are - forces tension or compression?

the 40kn and 20kn forces are downward forces and the two 70kn forces are upward if that's what you mean?

No, I meant EJ and JF both have -- in front and I was wondering what that meant. There is no identification of tension or compression and I thought you might be noting it in that manner.

1. What is a force diagram?

A force diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows the magnitude and direction of each force, as well as the object's motion.

2. Why are force diagrams important?

Force diagrams are important because they help us understand and analyze the forces at play in a given situation. This can be especially useful in predicting the motion of an object and determining the net force acting on it.

3. What are the key components of a force diagram?

The key components of a force diagram include the object being analyzed, the forces acting on the object, and the direction and magnitude of each force. Arrows are typically used to represent the forces, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the force.

4. How do I create a force diagram?

To create a force diagram, you will first need to identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, draw a dot or box to represent the object and draw arrows to represent the forces, making sure to label each force and indicate the direction and magnitude. Finally, ensure that the forces are properly scaled and add a key or legend if necessary.

5. Can force diagrams be used in all situations?

Force diagrams can be used in most situations, but may not always be necessary. They are most commonly used in situations involving physics and mechanics, where understanding the forces acting on an object is crucial in predicting its motion. However, in simpler scenarios, such as basic motion on a flat surface, a force diagram may not be needed.