1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force Diagram Assistance - please

1. Jan 24, 2008 #1
    Hey all.

I have a practice assessment on mechanics and structures.

question 1one was to calculate mathematically using the method of joint principle the magnitude and nature of the forces for all members of each frame. I have completed this part and the answers are acceptable.

But for question two I am asked to construct a force diagram of the same pin jointed frame. I have looked at force diagrams and even asked for assistance for I am still stuck, any assistance would be very much appreciated.

The triangle and answers from Question 1 are attached

Thank You.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2008 #2
    I'm confused about your notation. Are - forces tension or compression?

4. Jan 24, 2008 #3
    the 40kn and 20kn forces are downward forces and the two 70kn forces are upward if thats what you mean?

5. Jan 27, 2008 #4
    No, I meant EJ and JF both have -- in front and I was wondering what that meant. There is no identification of tension or compression and I thought you might be noting it in that manner.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?