Force: F=ma & Effects on Momentum

In summary, the concept of force can be confusing, but it is important to understand that force is not a property of a single object, but rather an interaction between two objects. When an object is accelerating, it is because there is a net force acting on it. However, this does not mean that the object is "increasing its force" as it accelerates. Additionally, once an object is released or collides with another object, the force is no longer relevant to its motion. Instead, the force during the collision is described by the concept of impulse, which is equal to the force exerted multiplied by the time of impact.
Aman Trivedi
I'm getting confused with the concept of force. I know f=ma. this could be interpreted in this way "the force required to make an object accelerate by a given amount depends on its mass" or the "if an object which with a mass m has a force f being applied on it its acceleration will be a. But could this also mean that an object with mass m and acceleration a is moving with a force of f? For example if I hit a person with a ball, I used to force to throw it, but when the ball begins to accelerate, does it mean that the ball as its moving, is also increasing its force? If yes, when in contact how would the effects of
The force be different from the objects momentum?

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Aman Trivedi said:
does it mean that the ball as its moving, is also increasing its force?
I wouldn't say that. A force is not a property of a single object, it is an interaction between two objects. So a ball doesn't "have" a force, there is a force between a ball and a hand and a force between a ball and the earth.

Aman Trivedi said:
I'm getting confused with the concept of force. I know f=ma. this could be interpreted in this way "the force required to make an object accelerate by a given amount depends on its mass" or the "if an object which with a mass m has a force f being applied on it its acceleration will be a. But could this also mean that an object with mass m and acceleration a is moving with a force of f? For example if I hit a person with a ball, I used to force to throw it, but when the ball begins to accelerate, does it mean that the ball as its moving, is also increasing its force? If yes, when in contact how would the effects of

Thank you in advance

You have a bit of a problem with "cause-and-effect" here.

When an object is seen to be accelerating, then yes, one can deduce that there is a net force acting on that object. However, you shouldn't say that as a mass is accelerating, it is "increasing its force", because it seems to imply that the increasing speed is causing a force.

BTW, just because an object is accelerating, it doesn't mean that it is "increasing its force". One can have a constant acceleration, and thus have a CONSTANT, non-zero force (i.e. the force isn't increasing).

You also need to look at the meaning of "Impulse", because here, force is defined as the time-rate of change of momentum, i.e. F = dp/dt. This is NOT a different definition, because you get back F = ma for a constant mass.

Zz.

Aman Trivedi said:
I'm getting confused with the concept of force. I know f=ma. this could be interpreted in this way "the force required to make an object accelerate by a given amount depends on its mass" or the "if an object which with a mass m has a force f being applied on it its acceleration will be a". But could this also mean that an object with mass m and acceleration a is moving with a force of f?
"moving with a force of f" simply has no meaning.

For example if I hit a person with a ball, I used to force to throw it, but when the ball begins to accelerate, does it mean that the ball as its moving, is also increasing its force?
The instant you release that ball, there is no longer any force on the ball. "Force" does not move with an object. The force is applied during the time it is in your hand, accelerating it to a given speed. Once the ball leaves your hand, the only forces on it are gravity and, possibly, air resistance. That is why the problems, which I am sure you have done, of determining how far a ball, bullet, etc. will go give the initial velocity and say nothing about any force that may have been applied to accelerate it that "initial velocity". Once the object has reached that velocity, the force is no longer applied and is not relevant to the problem.

If yes, when in contact how would the effects of

Thank you in advance

Its important to remember that the F in F=MA is the Net Force. It's possible to have a force or forces without acceleration.

Dale said:
I wouldn't say that. A force is not a property of a single object, it is an interaction between two objects. So a ball doesn't "have" a force, there is a force between a ball and a hand and a force between a ball and the earth.

Oh okay I think I get it now, so if the ball collides with a wall, then after collision when the ball begins to decelerate and move in the opposite direction (neglecting the fact that the ball bounces just for the sake of understanding) would we say that it's because of the force exerted by the wall on the ball upon the collision?

Aman Trivedi said:
Oh okay I think I get it now, so if the ball collides with a wall, then after collision when the ball begins to decelerate and move in the opposite direction (neglecting the fact that the ball bounces just for the sake of understanding) would we say that it's because of the force exerted by the wall on the ball upon the collision?

This is why I said that you should look up the concept of "Impulse". This is a combination of impulse and Newton's 3rd law. The force exerted by the wall onto the ball causes a change in the ball's momentum within the time of impact, i.e. F=dp/dt. The impulse, dp, is equal to F dt ,the force exerted by the wall in time dt. This is what is causing the ball to change its momentum.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You have a bit of a problem with "cause-and-effect" here.

When an object is seen to be accelerating, then yes, one can deduce that there is a net force acting on that object. However, you shouldn't say that as a mass is accelerating, it is "increasing its force", because it seems to imply that the increasing speed is causing a force.

BTW, just because an object is accelerating, it doesn't mean that it is "increasing its force". One can have a constant acceleration, and thus have a CONSTANT, non-zero force (i.e. the force isn't increasing).

You also need to look at the meaning of "Impulse", because here, force is defined as the time-rate of change of momentum, i.e. F = dp/dt. This is NOT a different definition, because you get back F = ma for a constant mass.

Zz.

I may sound silly but I still have one confusion, when a moving object collides with a stationery object, we'd say that the force caused by the moving object made the stationery object move? Right? Now that object is moving with steady velocity (ignoring gravity and overall friction) how would I deduce the force that the moving object exerted on the stationery object? Would it be by the accelrstion caused

Aman Trivedi said:
I may sound silly but I still have one confusion, when a moving object collides with a stationery object, we'd say that the force caused by the moving object made the stationery object move? Right? Now that object is moving with steady velocity (ignoring gravity and overall friction) how would I deduce the force that the moving object exerted on the stationery object? Would it be by the accelrstion caused

Sorry I pressed reply by mistake... So I was asking would it be deduced by calculating the acceleration and massed of the object which was once stationery? I'm sorry but I'm really confused

Aman Trivedi said:
Sorry I pressed reply by mistake... So I was asking would it be deduced by calculating the acceleration and massed of the object which was once stationery? I'm sorry but I'm really confused
For a large brief force, neither the duration of the force nor its magnitude are individually relevant. It is their product (actually an integral) that determines how the target object moves. That product/integral is called "impulse".

The momentum of a stationary target object after a collision is equal to the "impulse" delivered during the collision.

jbriggs444 said:
For a large brief force, neither the duration of the force nor its magnitude are individually relevant. It is their product (actually an integral) that determines how the target object moves. That product/integral is called "impulse".

The momentum of a stationary target object after a collision is equal to the "impulse" delivered during the collision.

You mentioned Newton's third law, so when two objects moving towards each other collide, according to Newtons law the collision would cause an equal and opposite reaction, so for example if a ball collides with a wall with the force of 50 N, does it mean that the wall too would push the ball back with same force?

Aman Trivedi said:
You mentioned Newton's third law, so when two objects moving towards each other collide, according to Newtons law the collision would cause an equal and opposite reaction, so for example if a ball collides with a wall with the force of 50 N, does it mean that the wall too would push the ball back with same force?
Yes.

What is the equation for force?

The equation for force is F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This equation is also known as Newton's second law of motion.

How does force affect momentum?

Force is directly proportional to change in momentum. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its change in momentum will be. This can result in an object accelerating, decelerating, or changing direction.

What are the units for force?

The SI unit for force is Newtons (N). Other commonly used units include pound-force (lbf) and kilogram-force (kgf). In the equation F=ma, the unit for force (N) is equal to the unit for mass (kg) multiplied by the unit for acceleration (m/s^2).

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity. The equation for weight is W=mg, where W is weight, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth).

How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum before an interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum. This means that if one object in a system gains momentum, another object must lose an equal amount of momentum in order to maintain the overall balance of momentum in the system.