Force of Gravity: Mass Change Factors

In summary: I also said to do it symbollically instead of plugging in bunch of numbers (and making small errors as a result of rounding during the calculations). You can see how your answers are slightly off of the real...In summary, the ratio of gravitational force changes by a factor of 2.07 when the mass of the 10-kg ball is doubled and by a factor of 4.07 when the mass of both balls is doubled. This can be calculated by dividing the new force equation by the original one, using symbols instead of numbers to get a more accurate result.
cary5
By what factor does the force change if
a. The mass of the 10-kg ball is doubled?
b. The mass of each ball is doubled?

Fg=(Gm1m2)/r sqrd

i know i can find the anser by using this but i don't know hoe to do it
for (a) i don't have the masse of the second obj.
so double of 10 is 20
Fg=(Gm1*20)/r sqrd but that is not the factor of change

Physics news on Phys.org
cary5 said:
By what factor does the force change if

Fg=(Gm1m2)/r sqrd

i know i can find the anser by using this but i don't know hoe to do it
for (a) i don't have the masse of the second obj.
so double of 10 is 20
Fg=(Gm1*20)/r sqrd but that is not the factor of change

They are looking for a ratio of forces, so divide the new force equation by the old one (lots of stuff cancels out...)

berkeman said:
They are looking for a ratio of forces, so divide the new force equation by the old one (lots of stuff cancels out...)

but there is only one object i can't use the equation with only one mass

cary5 said:
but there is only one object i can't use the equation with only one mass

One object? Then why do they ask what happens if the mass of "each" is doubled?

You didn't post the full question, so it's hard to be sure. But looking at what you posted, it looks like the question is about 2 masses, m1 and m2. They are asking what happens to the gravitational attraction force for parts a) and b), no?

berkeman said:
One object? Then why do they ask what happens if the mass of "each" is doubled?

You didn't post the full question, so it's hard to be sure. But looking at what you posted, it looks like the question is about 2 masses, m1 and m2. They are asking what happens to the gravitational attraction force for parts a) and b), no?

i don't know this the whole question
i give up

cary5 said:
i don't know this the whole question
i give up

Why don't you post the whole original question, word for word, before giving up...

berkeman said:
Why don't you post the whole original question, word for word, before giving up...

that is the whole question but befot that that is another question i think that it is referring to it

Q) What is the force of gravity
a. of a 10-kg steel ball on a 5-kg steel ball if the centers of the balls are 5 meters apart?
b. of a 5-kg steel ball on a 10-kg steel ball if the centers of the balls are 5 meters apart?
c. What is the acceleration of the 10-kg ball?
d. What is the acceleration of the 5-kg ball?

Q)By what factor does the force change if

igot everything for the first question the forses on the balls are 1.3*10^-10
so if the force befor was that the new Fg would be 2.7*10^-10 sine the mass of the 10 kg ball is doubled
but it is still not the factor og chage how do i get that is is by dividing them?

cary5 said:
that is the whole question but befot that that is another question i think that it is referring to it

Q) What is the force of gravity
a. of a 10-kg steel ball on a 5-kg steel ball if the centers of the balls are 5 meters apart?
b. of a 5-kg steel ball on a 10-kg steel ball if the centers of the balls are 5 meters apart?
c. What is the acceleration of the 10-kg ball?
d. What is the acceleration of the 5-kg ball?

Q)By what factor does the force change if

igot everything for the first question the forses on the balls are 1.3*10^-10
so if the force befor was that the new Fg would be 2.7*10^-10 sine the mass of the 10 kg ball is doubled
but it is still not the factor og chage how do i get that is is by dividing them?

They ask by what factor the force changes. So the change is F2/F1, where F2 if the force after making the change in the mass(es).

You already wrote the equation for the gravitational attractive force:

[tex]F = G \frac{m_1 m_2}{r^2}[/tex]

You don't even need to plug in numbers to answer these two questions. For the first question, m1 doubles to 2*m1. For the second question, both m1 and m2 double to 2*m1 and 2*m2. Write the force ratio equation, and plug in the new mass multipliers as appropriate...

berkeman said:
They ask by what factor the force changes. So the change is F2/F1, where F2 if the force after making the change in the mass(es).

You already wrote the equation for the gravitational attractive force:

[tex]F = G \frac{m_1 m_2}{r^2}[/tex]

You don't even need to plug in numbers to answer these two questions. For the first question, m1 doubles to 2*m1. For the second question, both m1 and m2 double to 2*m1 and 2*m2. Write the force ratio equation, and plug in the new mass multipliers as appropriate...

F2/F1 gives me 2.07 for the firs one
anf for b i got 4.07

cary5 said:
F2/F1 gives me 2.07 for the firs one
anf for b i got 4.07

2/1 = 2.07?

4/1 = 4.07?

Other than that, I think you are getting there!

berkeman said:
2/1 = 2.07?

4/1 = 4.07?

Other than that, I think you are getting there!

u said to do the force of gravity for the doubled mass/ force of gravity for the orignal
(2.7*10^-10)/(1.3*10^-10)=2.07

cary5 said:
u said to do the force of gravity for the doubled mass/ force of gravity for the orignal
(2.7*10^-10)/(1.3*10^-10)=2.07

I also said to do it symbollically instead of plugging in bunch of numbers (and making small errors as a result of rounding during the calculations). You can see how your answers are slightly off of the real answers...

berkeman said:
I also said to do it symbollically instead of plugging in bunch of numbers (and making small errors as a result of rounding during the calculations). You can see how your answers are slightly off of the real answers...

(Gm1*2m)/r squd
i don't know were to go from here

berkeman said:

i think i got it
ok so (gm2m)/r2 divided bt (Gmm)/r2
and now everythig cansles out and we are left with 2m/m and the m's cancle and we get 2/1
is that right? is the facto 2/1 for the firs one

it was so easy

F= Gm1m2 / r^2

F`=G10.m1m2 / r^2

cancel the repeting things

cary5 said:
i think i got it
ok so (gm2m)/r2 divided bt (Gmm)/r2
and now everythig cansles out and we are left with 2m/m and the m's cancle and we get 2/1
is that right? is the facto 2/1 for the firs one

Yes. Good!

oo7 - 2oo said:
it was so easy

f= gm1m2 / r^2

f`=g10.m1m2 / r^2

cancel the repeting things

g10?

1. What is the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is a natural phenomenon that causes objects with mass to attract each other. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away.

2. How does the force of gravity change with mass?

The force of gravity increases as the mass of an object increases. This means that the larger the mass, the greater the force of gravity.

3. What factors affect the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is affected by two main factors: the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the masses and the smaller the distance, the greater the force of gravity.

4. Does the force of gravity depend on the type of object?

No, the force of gravity is a universal force that affects all objects with mass, regardless of their size or composition.

5. How is the force of gravity measured?

The force of gravity is measured in units called Newtons (N). It can be calculated using the equation F = G(m1m2)/d^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and d is the distance between them.