1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force of nail after being struck by a hammer

1. Apr 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 5lb hammerhead, traveling at 5.4ft/s strikes a nail and is brought to a stop in .00081s. The acceleration of gravity is 32ft/s^2, What force did the nail recieve?

2. Relevant equations
    The equation I have is F=Pf-Pi/delta T. Both Pf and Pi have a arrow above them going to the right.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I have to find Pf and Pi, and P=mv. With that said would Pf be 0, since it comes to a stop, and Pi be (5lb)(5.4ft/s)? And I am guessing that delta T would .00081s?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

The real question here is what is the mass of the hammerhead? Since they give you acceleration of 32ft/s2, then this suggests to me this is how much it weighs. So I would say you need to determine your mass as 5/32 and then multiply by your 5.4 to get your momentum and then proceed as you were apparently intending.

4. Apr 14, 2009 #3
    So, p=mv which would be p=(5/32)(5.4) which equals .84375.
    Then, F=Pf-Pi/delta T, which would be (0)-(.84375)/(.00081)-(0), which would equal -1041.67 N, but you cant have a negative force can you? Am I doing this right, or am I missing something?

5. Apr 14, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Which direction did you choose as + ?
    And what is the question asking?
    So if the impact of the hammer resulted in a (-) force to the hammer that sounds like it received an upward force and the nail received a downward force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook