1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on a wire

1. Nov 15, 2005 #1
    The figure shows a wire of arbitrary shape carrying a current i between points a and b. The wire lies in a plane at right angles to a uniform magnetic field B. Prove that the force on the wire is teh same as that on a straight wire carrying a current i directly from a to b. (Hint: Replace the wire by a series of "steps" that are parllel and perpendicular to the straight line jkoining a and b.)
    WEll umm
    well the force on the stirahgt wire from a to b is simply
    [tex] F = iL \cross B = iLB \sin( \theta)[/tex]
    for the arbitrary wire
    [tex] F = \int idL \cross B [/tex]
    but i is constant and B is constant so
    [tex] F = iB \int dL = iBL [/tex] whicvh is the same as the stariaght wire. Is this correct?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

See my reply to your other post. What is the integral
    [tex]
    \int d\vec{\ell}
    [/tex]
    along the curvy wire from [tex] \vec{a} [/tex] to [tex] \vec{b} [/tex]? Does the integral depend on path? Why?

4. Nov 15, 2005 #3
    The only reason i can think of an integral not depending on path is because a force is conservative. But why is the force due to a magnetic field conservative? Is it because the energy reamins constant in this system?

5. Nov 15, 2005 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are integrating a differential, what does that tell you about the result of the integration? If you are uncomfortable with this argument and want to be a bit more formal, then try using the fundamental theorem of line integrals on the integral
    [tex]
    \int_C \vec{v}\cdot d\vec{\ell} = \vec{v} \cdot \int_C d\vec{\ell}
    [/tex]
    where [tex] \vec{v} [/tex] is an arbitrary vector and C is a path from [tex] \vec{a} [/tex] to [tex] \vec{b} [/tex]. Hint: is [tex] \vec{v} [/tex] the gradient of something? What does this result tell you about [tex]
    \int_C d\vec{\ell} \,\, ?
    [/tex]

6. Nov 15, 2005 #5
    ok the result of this integration [tex] v \oint dl = v \int_{a}^{b} dl = v [l]_{a}^{b} = v (b - a) [/tex]

im not sure what v is the gradient of, however.

7. Nov 16, 2005 #6

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A couple of things and you should have your answer.

First, don't forget that [tex] \vec{a} [/tex] and [tex] \vec{b} [/tex] are vectors. I don't know if you're confused about this, or if you just don't bother to notate it, or if you can't get LaTeX to work. I just wanted to emphasize this point either way.

Second, are you sure you can't find a function that [tex] \vec{v} [/tex] is the gradient of? Hint: the partial derivative with respect to x of your unknown function is [tex] v_x [/tex], a constant.

Third, your very close to your answer, here and in the other thread. All you need to do is convince yourself (or more properly, the grader) that
    [tex]
    \int_C d\vec{\ell} = \vec{b} - \vec{a}
    [/tex]
    independent of the path C. Once you have this fact, the answers to both your questions are easy to get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?