Solving Friction Problems Involving a Bundle of Bricks

• Thread starter princesspriya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the problem involves a 5.1*10^2 kg bundle of bricks being pulled up a ramp at an incline of 14 degrees with a force of 4.1*10^3 N. The coefficient of static friction between the bricks and the ramp is being sought. The solution involves using a free body diagram to find the sum of forces in the x and y direction, setting them equal to zero since there is no acceleration, and solving for the coefficient of static friction. Tension is a force that exists in a rope when it is being stretched and is usually associated with overcoming static friction.
princesspriya

Homework Statement

a 5.1*10^2 kg bundle of bricks is pulled up a ramp at an incline of 14 degrees to a construction site. the force needed to move the bricks up the ramp is 4.1*10^3 N. What is the coefficient of static fiction between the bricks and the ramp?

Homework Equations

well Fsmax= 4.1*10^3 because that's how much force is needed to overcome in order to move the bricks and Fn=510*9.81*cos14 then you would have to divide to get Us and i got 0.84 but the book says its wrong. so could some1 please help me figure out what i did wrong?
thx a ot.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're confusing Fsmax with force due to tension. The force of static friction = [tex]\mu[/tex]Fn

To approach this sort of problem, ALWAYS start off with a free body diagram. I actually just started using these physics forums so I don't know how to draw one on this site but i'll try to explain to you how to do it. When you draw it, you find that the sum of the forces in the Y direction is the following:

Sum Fy = Fn - mgcos14.[/B] You get mgcos14 by breaking mg into vector components.

Sum of the forces in the x direction is
Sum Fx = Tension - Ffriction - mgsin14.[/B]

You can set Fy equal to ma since F=ma. Since the block is not being moved in the y direction, it has no acceleration in that direction so ma becomes zero.
Therefore, Fn-mgcos14 = 0 and Fn=mgcos14

Next, set Fx = ma. Again, you are trying to find the coefficient of STATIC friction, which means the friction that occurs while the object is not moving. So acceleration is zero again and you set Fx=0. From this you get
T-Ffriction-mgsin14 = 0
You know that Ffriction = [tex]\mu[/tex]Fn so the above equation becomes
T-[tex]\mu[/tex]Fn-mgsin14 = 0

Now you can solve for [tex]\mu[/tex]. You are given tension and mass in the problem. And you know Fn because you solved for it above. So just plug everything in and see what you get! Let me know if you get the right answer. =)

ooo yup ur right. could you explain what exactly is tension? because in my book when they say like #N is needed to set something in motion the example in the book used that as Fsmax.

Tension is a force that usually exists in rope when the rope is being stretched. For example, if I were to push a box up an incline, I would be exerting a force on the box. If I were to use a rope to pull a box up an incline, there would be a force pulling the box up and that force is called tension (and it is in the rope).
Basically, don't get tension and force confused. They're pretty much the same thing, just different names. And tension is more specific, it is usually only associated with rope or string. Don't know if that makes sense or not.

When your book says that you need #N to set something in motion, that is the tension required to OVERCOME the static friction force. In other words, the block is being kept in place by the force of friction (which opposes the tension force, if you draw a free body diagram, you can see this). So in order to move the block, you need to apply at least as much tension as there is friction force. And when you do that, the block begins to move. Remember, there's still friction acting on the block once it moves but now its kinetic friction.
Hope this helps!

but it doesn't talk about ropes in the problem? coz i thought you only use tension when there is pulleys.

you have to assume that there is a rope because the problem says that bricks are PULLED up.

oo i seee thanks a lot for the help!

1. How do I calculate the force of friction on a bundle of bricks?

To calculate the force of friction on a bundle of bricks, you will need to know the coefficient of friction between the bricks and the surface they are resting on, as well as the weight of the bundle. You can then use the formula F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force (equal to the weight of the bundle).

2. Can I use the same equation to calculate friction on any surface?

No, the coefficient of friction is different for different materials and surfaces. You will need to use the appropriate coefficient of friction for the specific materials in your problem.

3. How do I determine the coefficient of friction for a given surface?

The coefficient of friction can be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to move an object across the surface at a constant speed. Alternatively, you can also look up the coefficient of friction for common materials and surfaces in a reference table.

4. What factors can affect the force of friction on a bundle of bricks?

The force of friction on a bundle of bricks can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the bundle, the surface it is resting on, the roughness of the surface, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances between the bricks and the surface.

5. How can I reduce the force of friction on a bundle of bricks?

The force of friction can be reduced by using a lubricant or by choosing a smoother surface for the bricks to rest on. Additionally, reducing the weight of the bundle can also decrease the force of friction. However, it is important to note that completely eliminating friction is not possible, as it is an inherent property of all surfaces.