Solve Vector Force Problem with Trigonometry: Step-by-Step Guide"

• Thread starter neurotikfisch
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is asking for help with an exercise that involves using trigonometric identities to find a necessary force. They have already calculated the force to be 69.28N with a Y component of 34.90N, but are unsure about how to incorporate a 20 degree angle into their calculations. Another person responds that the angle does not affect the question being asked, and the speaker expresses gratitude for the help.
neurotikfisch
Having some trouble with this exercise; help appreciated! :]

Homework Statement

8hVc5l.jpg

Homework Equations

Fx + Fy = F
Pythagorean Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

7Bkkql.jpg

basically I used the trigonometric identities to conclude that the necessary force was 69.28N and the Y component of the force was 34.90N

I'm sure I'm going to feel pretty dumb after it clicks, but I'm not sure what to do about the 20deg angle that's thrown into the problem. Should I have used that in my trigonometric calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi neurotikfisch! :wink:
neurotikfisch said:
I'm sure I'm going to feel pretty dumb after it clicks, but I'm not sure what to do about the 20deg angle that's thrown into the problem. Should I have used that in my trigonometric calculations?

no, it makes no difference to the question asked :smile:

(it will of course affect the effect of the force … but the question doesn't ask for that! :biggrin:)

tiny-tim said:
hi neurotikfisch! :wink:

no, it makes no difference to the question asked :smile:

(it will of course affect the effect of the force … but the question doesn't ask for that! :biggrin:)

Thank you so much! :D

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the amount of interaction between two objects. It is measured in units of Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

2. What are the different types of forces?

There are four fundamental forces in nature: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Other types of forces include friction, tension, and normal force.

3. How is force related to acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to the acceleration of an object. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

4. What is a vector quantity?

A vector quantity is a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. Force is an example of a vector quantity as it has a specific amount (magnitude) and a specific direction in which it acts.

5. How do you calculate the net force on an object?

The net force on an object is the sum of all the forces acting on it. This can be calculated by adding together all the individual forces, taking into account their direction. If the net force is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity.