Sketches and Forces in an Excavator System

In summary, the discussion revolved around the forces acting on a sack and a scoop in contact with an excavator. The forces on the sack were determined to be its weight and the normal reaction from the scoop, while the forces on the scoop included the normal reactions from the sack, weight, and the force exerted by the excavator. The possibility of a vertical friction force on the scoop was also considered.
furor celtica

Homework Statement

a sack is in contact with both the base and the vertical back of an excavator scoop. the excavator is moving forward at constant speed in a straight line. make separate sketches showing the forces acting on the sack and the scoop.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok the sketches aren't important, i just want to make sure i have all the forces correct. so for he sack I'm pretty sure that the vertical forces are its weight and the normal reaction from the scoop, while the horizontal forces would be the force exerted by the scoop and the normal reaction from the sack, is this correct?
however for the scoop i am less sure. there is the normal reaction exerted by the sack, the force from the excavator, but then what?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi furor celtica ! :smile:
furor celtica said:
… for he sack I'm pretty sure that the vertical forces are its weight and the normal reaction from the scoop, while the horizontal forces would be the force exerted by the scoop and the normal reaction from the sack, is this correct?

the normal reaction from the sack cannot be a force on the sack

otherwise, that's ok

(except I'm not sure whether to include a vertical friction force from the back of the scoop … sacks are floppy, so they tend to fall down a wall much like a ladder would, so is there a friction force as there would be on a ladder? i don't know :confused:)
however for the scoop i am less sure. there is the normal reaction exerted by the sack, the force from the excavator, but then what?

every reaction force on the sack has an equal and opposite reaction force from the sack

also, you've missed out something really obvious! :wink:

ok so forces on the sack: normal reactions (vertical and horizontal) from scoop, weight
forces on scoop: normal reactions from sack (vertical and horizontal), force from excavator (does this count?)

furor celtica said:
ok so forces on the sack: normal reactions (vertical and horizontal) from scoop, weight
forces on scoop: normal reactions from sack (vertical and horizontal),

yes :smile:
force from excavator (does this count?)

yes of course! all the forces on the scoop should be shown …

however, which direction does the force from the excavator point in?

and why doesn't the scoop shoot off in that direction (in other words, what are you missing? :wink:)

"force from excavator" is a part of the normal reaction from the scoop of the excavator.
don't make unneeded equations.

gomunkul51 said:
"force from excavator" is a part of the normal reaction from the scoop of the excavator.

i don't understand :confused:

does this have to include air friction?

in exam questions, no :smile:

(in reality, yes, but it will make very little difference)

so what did i forget with the scoop?
normal reactions from sack, force from excavator, and?

weight? :wink:

weight of the scoop? isn't that taken care of by the excavator itself?

no …

assuming that the excavator is supporting the scoop only from underneath, the weight of the scoop is a force downward on the scoop, and the force from the excavator is a force upward on the scoop

ok thanks
so forces on scoop are
normal reactions vertical and horizontal from sack, weight and force exerted by excavator
correct?

correct! :smile:

thanks

Related to Sketches and Forces in an Excavator System

1. What is Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will also exert a force of equal magnitude in the opposite direction on the first object.

2. How does Newton's third law relate to forces?

Newton's third law explains how forces work in pairs. When one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will also exert a force of equal magnitude in the opposite direction. This is known as the action-reaction pair of forces.

3. Can you give an example of a force pair according to Newton's third law?

One example of a force pair is a person pushing against a wall. The person exerts a force on the wall, and the wall exerts an equal and opposite force back on the person. Another example is a rocket blasting off into space. The rocket exerts a downward force on the ground, and the ground exerts an equal and opposite force upwards on the rocket.

4. Does Newton's third law apply to all types of forces?

Yes, Newton's third law applies to all types of forces, including contact forces and non-contact forces. For example, when you kick a ball, the ball exerts a force on your foot, and your foot also exerts a force on the ball in the opposite direction. In the case of non-contact forces, such as gravity, the action and reaction forces act on different objects but are still equal and opposite.

5. How is Newton's third law important in understanding motion?

Newton's third law is essential in understanding motion because it helps us to understand how forces affect the motion of objects. The law tells us that forces always occur in pairs, and the motion of an object is determined by the net force acting on it. This means that the motion of an object is a result of the forces acting on it, and understanding these forces is crucial in predicting and explaining an object's motion.