Forces/conservation of energy of slide/free fall

In summary, the two children are standing on a platform next to a pool, with one jumping straight down and the other sliding down a frictionless slide. The question asks to compare the average acceleration of the smaller child with that of the larger child. By using the formula F=ma and considering the forces and acceleration normal and tangential to the slope, it is determined that the acceleration of the smaller child is greater due to a larger force acting on them. This has little to do with the masses of the children and is solely based on acceleration.
bdh2991

Homework Statement

Two children stand on a platform at the top of a curving
slide next to a backyard swimming pool. At the same
moment the smaller child hops off to jump straight down
into the pool, the bigger child releases herself at the top
of the frictionless slide. During their motions from the platform
to the water, the average acceleration of the smaller child
compared with that of the larger child is (a) greater (b) less
(c) equal.

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I originally though it was equal because if you use F= ma, the only force acting on them is gravity right? so it it would be mg = ma, therefore a = g, but i don't understand how the answer could be a. could someone help me with this and represent it mathematically...thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the change in the potential energy and the length of the path traveled by either child.

Ok so initially both of them have energy of mgh, and Mgh (for the bigger one)...but they both travel the same height, so the change in potential energy would be larger for the child with more mass.

They travel the same height, but not the same path. But when I think about this approach again, it seems too complex. Let's try something else.

Imagine a child somewhere on the slide. What are the forces acting on him, and what is his acceleration?

Y-Forces would be N*cos(theta) - mg = ma

X-Forces would be N*sin(theta) = ma

I think?

No, that's not right. Use the coordinates normal and tangential to the slope.

Ok sooooo...

Y-forces would be F = mg*cos(theta) = ma
X-forces would be F = mg*sin(theta) = ma

Where is the reaction?

the reaction of the force would along the horizontal
so F = sqrt((mgcos(theta)^2 + mgsin(theta)2)) = 2mg?

I do not follow.

Do a FBD. Write down the components normal and tangential to the slide. Do not forget the reaction. What is the acceleration?

Ax = gsin(theta)
Ay = gcos(theta)

i'm sure this is wrong though

Again, use normal/tangential axes. Acceleration can only be tangential.

i don't get it honestly...acceleration has to have 2 components to it when it is on a slope if your asking for the resultant acceleration then i suppose that would be sqrt(Ax^2 + Ay^2) = g

Do you understand what "normal" and "tangential" mean?

normal is perpendicular to the surface tangential is along the surface:

the acceleration is along the tangential so that would be the x-component of the force so it would be mg*sin(theta)

Correct. Now compare that with acceleration of the child plunging straight down.

so mg*sin(theta) < mg...therefore because of a larger force the acceleration would also have to be larger?

Force and acceleration are very simply related, aren't they?

Note the formula above has a problem: it uses the same "m", while you have two different masses.

ok so if we don't know the size of each m how could you even tell which is greater?

What you have is forces; you are asked to compare accelerations.

This has very little to do with masses of the children, it is all about acceleration.
So you know that the acceleration of the smaller child is a=g=9.81m/s^2.
And as you said, the only force acting tangential to the slide is mg*sin(theta) since we ignore the friction. According to Newton's second law ƩF=ma→ mg*sin(theta)=m*a, so we get the acceleration of the other child a=g*sin(theta). Which one is bigger g or g*sin(theta)?

1. What is the difference between force and energy?

Force is a push or pull on an object that causes it to move or change its state of motion. Energy, on the other hand, is the ability to do work or cause change. While force is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction, energy is a scalar quantity with only magnitude.

2. How is the conservation of energy related to a slide?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In the case of a slide, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as a person slides down. The total amount of energy remains the same, but it changes form.

3. What factors affect the speed of an object during free fall?

The speed of an object during free fall is affected by the force of gravity, the mass of the object, and the presence of air resistance. Objects with larger masses will fall faster due to a greater force of gravity, while objects with a greater surface area will experience more air resistance and fall slower.

4. What is the relationship between force and acceleration during free fall?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is directly proportional to acceleration. This means that as the force of gravity remains constant during free fall, the acceleration of an object will also remain constant. This is why all objects, regardless of mass, fall at the same rate in a vacuum.

5. Can the conservation of energy be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the conservation of energy can be applied to many real-life situations, including sliding and free fall. Other examples include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a roller coaster going through loops, and a ball rolling down a hill. In all of these situations, energy is converted and transferred, but the total amount remains constant.