Forces in equilibrium. Tension, ring on string.

In summary, afrocod was trying to solve a problem where two strings have to be inclined in opposite directions, but he was lost and couldn't get the answer. He was helped by Tim who explained the strategy of solving the problem using vectors.
afrocod
A ring of weight 2N is threaded on to a string whose ends are fixed to two points A and B in a horizontal line. The ring is pulled aside by a horizontal force P Newton parallel to AB. When the ring is in equilibrium the two sections of the string are inclined to the vertical at angles of 40° and 20°. Find the two possible values of P.

The sum of all the forces = 0 and because it says the 2 possible values of P, I'm guessing the Cosine rule is relevant.

I tried to separate out horizontal and perpendicular vectors like : X = P + T1Sin20 - T2sin40 = 0 and Y = -2 + T1Cos20 + T2Cos40 = 0. and it doesn't work out. I'm also thinking the tension in both segments = 2N

I've followed lots of different tactics out but it just never comes out right and it's draining my will to live. I'm almost certain the problem is, I'm just not able to see what are the relevant forces in the problem, I'm having a hard time making a mental model of it.

Also I'm self studying this material, so I've got no one else to turn to. Please help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi afrocod! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
afrocod said:
]I tried to separate out horizontal and perpendicular vectors like : X = P + T1Sin20 - T2sin40 = 0 and Y = -2 + T1Cos20 + T2Cos40 = 0.

Well, that should work.

(Don't forget that it's a continuous string, so the tension is the same all the way along)

If it still doesn't work, show us how far you get. :smile:

So I set X = Y because they're both = 0

P + T1Sin20 - T2Sin40 = -2 + T1Cos20 + T2Cos40

P = T1Cos20 - T1Sin20 + T2Cos40 + T2Sin40 - 2

P = T1(Cos20 - Sin20) + T2(Cos40 + Sin40) - 2

P = 0.6T1 + 1.41T2 - 2

But since you say then tension is the same for the whole string then T1 = T2

P = 2.01T - 2

And I'm guessing the tension is equal to the weight of the ring = 2N

So, P = 2.02

Which is not the right answer. What baffles me more is why is there 2 values for P?

afrocod said:
So I set X = Y because they're both = 0

sorry, afrocod, but this strategy is crazy :yuck: …

you had two equations, with two unknowns (P and T)

you've just reduced it to one equation, with two unknowns! :rolleyes:

that's not solvable!

solve Y = 0 first (for T), then use that solution in X = 0 …

what do you get? :smile:

It all seems like perfect logic till someone calls you crazy.

Y = 0.94T + 0.64T = 2

T = 1.27

X = P + (1.27)Sin20 - (1.27) Sin40 = 0

P = 0.39N

Which is close enough to one of the answers (0.35N), if I took a few more decimal places I probably would have got that.

But now I'm still left with the question what is the other possible value for P, and why does it even have two values?

afrocod said:
But now I'm still left with the question what is the other possible value for P, and why does it even have two values?

hmm :rolleyes:

what makes you think that the two strings have to be sloping in opposite directions? :wink:

All I can think of is that when P = 0 but the other answer is actually 1.15N

you're reading too much into the question …

read it again, carefully …
afrocod said:
A ring of weight 2N is threaded on to a string whose ends are fixed to two points A and B in a horizontal line. The ring is pulled aside by a horizontal force P Newton parallel to AB. When the ring is in equilibrium the two sections of the string are inclined to the vertical at angles of 40° and 20°.

how many different ways are there of drawing this? :smile:

Oh, I see... facepalm... Sloping the same direction.

Thank you for all your patient help Tim.

Your the man.

I am having problems with the same question can you explain a bit more on how you reach the answer?

welcome to pf!

hi sareba! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

I came up with the exact same strategy i.e. resolving the firces into components but you guys lost me on afrocod's third post where he seems to be using T cos 20 + T cos 40 = 2 but cos 40 = .766 not .64 which is cos 50

EDIT: Oh i put in cos 40 and it gave .35 the correct answer... Thanks a lot tim for the quick reply!

But still how do i get to the other answer? I mean i understand what you mean by same slopes. We have toadd the forces instead of subtracting them but that does not give the right answer...

Last edited:
hi sareba! :smile:
sareba said:
But still how do i get to the other answer? I mean i understand what you mean by same slopes. We have toadd the forces instead of subtracting them but that does not give the right answer...

it should :confused:

show us your equation :smile:

Ah... Its all good now there was a little mix up i nthe equation but I figured it out. Thanks a lot again TIM! I don't know how you do it but you be tha man!

1. What is the definition of equilibrium in terms of forces?

Equilibrium in terms of forces refers to a state where all the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in the object being at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

2. How does tension affect an object in equilibrium?

Tension is a force that acts along a string, rope, or cable and is always directed away from the object. In an object in equilibrium, the tension force is equal and opposite to the weight of the object, keeping it in place.

3. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium occurs when an object is at rest, while dynamic equilibrium occurs when an object is moving at a constant velocity. In both cases, the forces acting on the object are balanced, but in dynamic equilibrium, there is also a balance of forces that allow for motion.

4. How does the angle of the string affect the tension force?

The tension force in a string is directly proportional to the angle of the string. As the angle increases, the tension force also increases. This is why the string in a pendulum is taut at the bottom of its swing and slack at the top.

5. Can an object be in equilibrium if there is only one force acting on it?

No, an object can only be in equilibrium if the sum of all the forces acting on it is equal to zero. If there is only one force acting on an object, it will either be accelerating or decelerating, depending on the direction of the force.