Calculating Forces in Gate Frame Members: Am I on the Right Track?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of designing a simple gate for the side of a house. The person is trying to determine the size of the square tube needed for the frame by calculating the forces in the members. They have tried the method of sections and joints, but it did not work. Their next approach is to draw a FBD for each member and calculate the maximum bending moment to select the appropriate tube size. They also mention considering buckling if any tubes are in compression. The conversation also includes a humorous comment about overthinking and the potential need for structural integrity against a Jehovah's Witness or a water buffalo. The suggested compromise for the tube size is 1/2" or 1" square mild steel tubing. It
VooDoo
Hi all,

Trying to design a simple gate for the side of our house and in order to select the size of the square tube for the frame, I need to calculate the forces in the members of the frame.

I have tried the method of sections and joints, however both do not seem to work.

My next approach is to draw a fbd for each member then work out what the maximum bending moment is and then select a sqaure tube size based on that. If any tubes are in compression I will calculate buckling.

Just want to know if I am going down the correct path?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 528
Engineering news on Phys.org
I must say that I honestly wonder sometimes if people over-think things. Are you trying to bar access to your home from a Jehovah's Witness or a water buffalo? It makes a tad bit of difference as to what structural integrity is needed. (And the buffalo is easier to reason with.)
As a good compromise, I'd go with 1/2" square mild steel tubing welded together. If the buffalo is really angry, kick it up to 1" tubing.

Yes, a FBD would be the way to go. After that you should add any axial loads and combine the results from the bending & moment results with a Morh analysis.

I am curious where you got the downward force at point b on your diagram. And while you might think that the vertical loads at the hinges are shared it would be best to consider that the full load was only taken by a single hinge, probably the bottom one.

What is a gate frame?

A gate frame is a structural framework used to support gates, typically made of metal or wood.

What are forces in members of a gate frame?

Forces in members of a gate frame refer to the external forces, such as gravity and wind, acting on the frame that must be supported and balanced for the frame to remain stable.

What types of forces can act on a gate frame?

There are typically three types of forces that can act on a gate frame: compression, tension, and shear. Compression is a force that pushes towards the center of the frame, tension pulls away from the center, and shear is a force that acts parallel to the frame's surface.

How do you calculate forces in members of a gate frame?

To calculate forces in members of a gate frame, you must first determine the external forces acting on the frame. Then, using principles of statics, you can analyze the frame's geometry and material properties to determine the internal forces in each member.

Why is it important to consider forces in members of a gate frame?

Understanding and considering forces in members of a gate frame is crucial for ensuring the stability and safety of the structure. Neglecting to account for these forces could result in structural failure, leading to potential accidents or damage.