1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces/Tension Problem

1. Sep 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3 blocks A B C are connected by strings as in attached image. The block C is descending with constant velocity. i've worked out the tension in string A B to be 7.31N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between each block and the surface is 0.36 and block a b weighs 20.3N each. I've also calculated the weight of C to be 25.3N. The last part of the question asked for the acceleration of block C if the rope between A B is cut.

2. Relevant equations

Link to figure

http://b.imagehost.org/view/0603/YF-05-56.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured that if the rope was cut, the resultant force would be = t in A B which is 7.31N, working out to an equation 7.31 = (25.3/9.80) * acceleration. However the answer is wrong. The question did not provide a numerical value for g so i was wondering if i shouldnt have used 9.80. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the rope between A & B was cut, wouldn't the tension in AB be necessarily zero? Wouldn't the tension between BC be more relevant to the acceleration of C?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?