Calculating the Angle of a Hanging Ball in an Electric Field

In summary, the conversation discusses using an electric field of 3.00x10^5 N/C to determine the angle at which a ball hangs in a free body diagram. The force exerted by the field on the 25nC ball is equal to T_x, and using F=EQ, the electric force is calculated to be 0.0075 N. After correcting a mistake in the trigonometry, the angle is determined to be 20.9 degrees.
cse63146

Homework Statement

An electric field 3.00×10^5 N/C causes the ball in the figure to hang at an angle. What is the angle

knight_Figure_25_69.jpg

Homework Equations

F_g = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's a free body diagram that I drew in paint:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6721/fbdnc7.jpg

I got f_g = mg = (0.002)(9.8) = 0.0196N = T_y

so would T_x be equal to E?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The force exerted by the electric field on the 25nC ball is equal to T_x. Use F=EQ to find the electric force exerted on the ball.

So:

F = EQ = (3x10^5)(25x10^-9) = 0.0075 N

then I just use tangent

tan[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{T_y}{T_x}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{0.0196}{0.0075 }[/tex] = 2.61

Does anyone see a mistake somewhere I made?

cse63146 said:
So:

F = EQ = (3x10^5)(25x10^-9) = 0.0075 N

then I just use tangent

tan[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{T_y}{T_x}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{0.0196}{0.0075 }[/tex] = 2.61

Does anyone see a mistake somewhere I made?

Check your trig. You've got Tx and Ty flipped.

Don't forget to actually calculate the angle.

the 2.61 is after I used arctangent.

So let's try this one more time

tan[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{T_x}{T_y}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{0.0075}{0.0196}[/tex] = 20.9 (after arctangent was used).

This sounds more reasonable.

What is the relationship between forces and electricity?

The relationship between forces and electricity is that forces can produce electricity through movement or pressure, and electricity can also produce forces through attraction and repulsion. This is known as the electromagnetic force.

How do electric charges create forces?

Electric charges create forces through the attraction or repulsion of other charges. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other. This force is known as the Coulomb force.

What is the difference between static and dynamic electricity?

Static electricity is when charges build up on the surface of an object and do not flow, while dynamic electricity is when charges are in motion and can flow through a conductor. Static electricity is usually caused by friction, while dynamic electricity is typically produced by a power source.

How do forces affect the flow of electricity?

Forces can affect the flow of electricity by either helping or hindering the movement of charges through a conductor. For example, a strong force can cause charges to move faster, while a resistance force can slow down the flow of electricity.

Can forces be used to control electricity?

Yes, forces can be used to control electricity. For example, magnets can be used to control the flow of electricity in generators and motors, and electric fields can be used to control the movement of charged particles in devices like capacitors and transistors.