1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forensic Expert Bullet Velocity-Ballistic Pendulum :uhh:

1. Nov 2, 2006 #1
    A forensic expert needed to find the velocity of a bullet fired from a gun inorder to predict the trajectory of a bullet. He fired a 5.50g bullet into ballistic pendulum with a bob that had a mass 1.75 kg. The pendulum swung to a height of 12.5 cm above its rest position before dropping back down. What was the velocity of the bullet just before it hit and became embedded in the pendulum bob?
    :cry:

I think I have an understanding of the queation, but just wanted to ensure I am on the right path.

I figured that in the middle kenetic energy E=1/2 mv2 will not be conseved, but momentum is conserved. So if u is the velocity of bullet in start then u=((m+M)v)/m

In the swing to the height of 12.5 cm the potential and kenetic energy will be conserved since both the mass of pendulum and bullet swing up after collision.
    so v=sqrt(2gh)

v=sqrt(2*9.8*0.125)
    =1.565 m/s

u=((m+M)v)/m
    =((5.50+1750)1.565)/5.50
    =499.599 m/s

Is this question really this easy because its 4 marks?

Please help. Thank you. :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes it is.

4. Nov 2, 2006 #3
    Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?