Forget the name of it, but i need a review

• Thread starter austin1250
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Review
Sorryx2-1In summary, the conversation is about solving a given equation by finding a common denominator and adding the fractions. The process involves multiplying the numerators and denominators by appropriate factors to get the common denominator and then adding the fractions. There may be confusion over the correct method of finding the common denominator, but ultimately the solution is found by adding the fractions with the common denominator.
austin1250

Homework Statement

I basiclly just need a little review and maybe some 1 to show me how to solve out the equation/and equation like it. here is an example:

2x+1 / x-1 + 1/ x+1 = ?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

?

Physics news on Phys.org
austin1250 said:

Homework Statement

I basiclly just need a little review and maybe some 1 to show me how to solve out the equation/and equation like it. here is an example:

2x+1 / x-1 + 1/ x+1 = ?
I assume by ? you mean a number like 3 or 2 or even some function f(x)?but here's a clue

[tex]\frac{1}{a} + \frac{1}{b}= \frac{a+b}{ab}[/tex]

by Question mark i mean it would equal like 2x + 1 / x^2 - 1 or something along those lines

austin1250 said:
by Question mark i mean it would equal like 2x + 1 / x^2 - 1 or something along those lines

then just bring them to the same common denominator (x-1)(x+1). Do you know how to do that?

I THINK you mean you want to add the two fractions (2x+1)/(x-1)+ 1/(x+1).
(Please use parentheses!)

As Rock.freak667 said, you need to get "common denominators". Here, the common denominator is (x-1)(x+1). Multiply numerator and denominator of the first fraction by x+1 and numerator and denominator of the second fraction by x-1.

rock.freak667 said:
then just bring them to the same common denominator (x-1)(x+1). Do you know how to do that?

no i forget, do you foil it ?

HallsofIvy said:
I THINK you mean you want to add the two fractions (2x+1)/(x-1)+ 1/(x+1).
(Please use parentheses!)

As Rock.freak667 said, you need to get "common denominators". Here, the common denominator is (x-1)(x+1). Multiply numerator and denominator of the first fraction by x+1 and numerator and denominator of the second fraction by x-1.

yeah, ok I did that and i got

(2x^2-x-1)/(x2-2x+1) + (x+1)/ (x^2 -2x-2)

now what

austin1250 said:
yeah, ok I did that and i got

(2x^2-x-1)/(x2-2x+1) + (x+1)/ (x^2 -2x-2)

now what

the denominator would be (x-1)(x+1)

now do as HallsofIvy said and

HallsofIvy said:
Multiply numerator and denominator of the first fraction by x+1 and numerator and denominator of the second fraction by x-1.

rock.freak667 said:
the denominator would be (x-1)(x+1)

now do as HallsofIvy said and

that just confused me. i did what halls said and i got the answer you quoted. so i did it wrong?

austin1250 said:
that just confused me. i did what halls said and i got the answer you quoted. so i did it wrong?

[tex]\frac{2x+1}{x-1} + \frac{1}{x-1}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{(2x+1)}{(x-1)(x+1)} + \frac{(x+1)}{(x-1)(x+1)}[/tex]

since the denominators are both the same, you can just add the numerators now.

rock.freak667 said:
[tex]\frac{2x+1}{x-1} + \frac{1}{x-1}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{(2x+1)}{(x-1)(x+1)} + \frac{(x+1)}{(x-1)(x+1)}[/tex]

since the denominators are both the same, you can just add the numerators now.

did you copy that down wrong? its

(2x+1)/(x-1)+ 1/(x+1).

austin1250 said:
did you copy that down wrong? its

(2x+1)/(x-1)+ 1/(x+1).

Sorry there, forgot to do some more typing, should be this

[tex]
= \frac{(2x+1)(x+1)}{(x-1)(x+1)} + \frac{(x-1)}{(x-1)(x+1)}
[/tex]

Now, austin1250, use "FOIL" to multiply (x-1)(x+1) carefully! It is NOT [itex]x^2- 2x- 1[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
Now, austin1250, use "FOIL" to multiply (x-1)(x+1) carefully! It is NOT [itex]x^2- 2x- 1[/itex].

oh did i say that? Sorry

x2-1

1. What is the purpose of a review?

A review is a critical evaluation of something, such as a book, movie, or product. Its purpose is to provide an analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the subject and to help others make informed decisions about whether or not to engage with it.

2. How do I write a review?

To write a review, you should first familiarize yourself with the subject by engaging with it multiple times and taking notes on your observations. Then, organize your thoughts and present them in a clear and concise manner. It is important to be honest and provide specific examples to support your opinions. Additionally, you may want to consider the intended audience for your review and tailor your language and tone accordingly.

3. What should I include in a review?

A review should include a brief summary of the subject, your overall evaluation of it, and specific examples to support your opinions. You may also want to mention the target audience and any relevant background information. It is also helpful to include a recommendation or conclusion based on your evaluation.

4. What is the difference between a positive and negative review?

A positive review highlights the strengths and positive aspects of the subject, while a negative review focuses on the weaknesses and negative aspects. However, both types of reviews should still provide specific examples and reasons for their evaluation.

5. How can I use reviews to make informed decisions?

Reviews can be a valuable tool in helping you make informed decisions. By reading multiple reviews, you can get a well-rounded understanding of a subject and make comparisons between different perspectives. It is important to consider the credibility of the reviewer and their potential biases. Additionally, take note of common themes or patterns in the reviews to get a better sense of the overall consensus.