Forgot how to graph sin graphs(translation)

• Thread starter HelloMotto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph Sin
In summary, the function cos(4/3x) has a period of 3π/2 and an amplitude of 1. The maximum value is 1 and the minimum value is -1. The graph is compressed towards the y-axis by a factor of 3/4. The high points of the graph occur at 0 and 3π/2, with the graph crossing the x-axis halfway between those points. The points for one period of the graph can be found by plugging in values such as 0, 3π/8, 3π/4, 9π/8, and 3π/2.
HelloMotto
Ok so i have a function
cos4/3x between 0<= X <= 2π
the amp is 1, max is 1 and min is -1.
the period is 3π/2.

normally in a cos graph, π/2=0, π=-1, 3π/2=0 and 2π=1.
but since the period is 3π/2, i know the 1 is now at 3π/2. But I am getting confused as to where the 0s and the negative -1 would be at.

Physics news on Phys.org
HelloMotto said:
Ok so i have a function
cos4/3x 0<= X <= 2π
the amp is 1, max is 1 and min is -1.
the period is 3π/2.

normally in a cos graph, π/2=0, π=-1, 3π/2=0 and 2π=1.
but since the period is 3π/2, i know the 1 is now at 3π/2. But I am getting confused as to where the 0s and the negative -1 would be at.
No, π/2!=0, π != 1, and so on, but cos(π/2) = 0, and cos(π) = -1.

The effect of the multiplier 4/3 in cos((4/3)x) is to compress the graph toward the y-axis so that each point on the compressed graph is 3/4 as far away from the y-axis as that of the normal cosine graph.

As you said, the period of your function is 3π/2. cos((4/3)0) = cos(0) = 1, and cos((4/3)(3π/2)) = cos(2π) = 1, so those are the high points at each end of one period of the graph. The graph crosses the x-axis halfway between those points. You should be able to fill in the rest of one period of this graph, and from that, extend the graph for the interval you're given.

Since the period is 3π/2, you should draw the cos graph in the interval (0,3π/2). So, the points should be:
cos0=1
cos(3π/8)=0 (this is п/2 in y=cosx)
cos(3π/4)=-1 (since you draw half of the period, and that is п in y=cosx)
cos((3п/2+3п/4)/2)=cos(9п/8)=0 (3п/2 in y=cosx)
cos(3π/2)=1 (2п in y=cosx)
At the beginning you should point half of the period, and again one more half of the half.

Regards.

1. How do I graph a sine function?

To graph a sine function, start by labeling the x-axis with the values of the independent variable (usually represented by the angle in degrees or radians). Then, label the y-axis with the values of the dependent variable (usually represented by the amplitude of the sine function). Next, plot the coordinates of the points that correspond to the values of the sine function. Finally, connect the points with a smooth curve to create the graph.

2. What does "translation" mean in the context of graphing sine functions?

In graphing, "translation" refers to shifting the graph of a function horizontally or vertically. In the context of graphing sine functions, translation means changing the horizontal or vertical position of the graph without changing its shape.

3. How do I translate a sine function?

To translate a sine function, you can use the general form of the function: y = a*sin(b(x-c)) + d. The values of a, b, c, and d determine the translation of the function. The value of a represents the amplitude, b represents the frequency, c represents the horizontal shift, and d represents the vertical shift.

4. What is the difference between translating a sine function horizontally and vertically?

Translating a sine function horizontally means changing the x-values of the graph, while translating it vertically means changing the y-values. Horizontal translation affects the phase or starting point of the function, while vertical translation affects the amplitude of the function.

5. How can I check if my graph of a translated sine function is correct?

To check if your graph of a translated sine function is correct, you can use the sine function graphing tool on a graphing calculator or software. Alternatively, you can plug in different values for x in the original and translated function and compare the resulting y-values to see if they are the same. Additionally, you can use the properties of sine functions (such as amplitude and period) to verify if the translation is correct.