Understanding the Different Forms of the Ideal Gas Law and Their Applications

In summary, the conversation discusses the different forms of the Ideal gas law and the associated R values. The first two equations are the "normal" forms while the third equation uses the specific volume, which changes the R value. It is noted that the notation for R is not always consistent, but what matters are the ideas behind it. Different gases have different R values, which can complicate calculations, especially in atmospheric sciences.
Jack Duncan
Hey I was hoping someone could be me a succinct method of knowing what form of the Ideal gas law I need to use and in particular the different R's associated with each form.
Form my Thermodynamics class we use
PV = nRT
Pv = RT
PV = mRT
Little v being the specific volume (which changes the R value I suppose)

I realize it's a vague question but I'd appreciate any insight.-J

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Did you consider what the various variables stand for ? Hyperphysics does. That helps a lot to answer your question.
(Not trying to be nasty: your question IS relevant and it definitely is very important to understand what is all stands for)

That is helpful, although taht seems to be simply for the "normal" ideal gas law (at least normal to me) I'm having more difficulty I guess knowing what R is for the ideal gas law using specific volume. In my thermodynamics class right now, it's denoted as R bar (not unit of pressure) and when looking through my book vs online resources or even lecture notes the notation doesn't seem to remain constant

I am afraid this part about notation not being standard is something you have to be ready for. Fortunately, it is not notation that matters, but ideas behind.

PV=nRT holds always as written, with R value that is always the same (and identical to the R value listed in every source you will find, and in every equation not related to the ideal gas). Sometimes it looks like it is more convenient to use not the general form of the equation, but some specific forms, in which we can ignore number of moles, or mass of the gas - then we use R' values (where ' I use ' to mean anything different than the standard R) but we can ignore n, or molar mass of the gas. However, it also means in such case we need separate R' values for each gas, so the convenience of that approach is questionable.

If v is volume per mole (v=V/n) then the second equation is identical to the first if we divide both sides by n.
As for the third, different gases have different molecular weights so if m is a mass one would have to have a different R for every gas to make it true.

Jason2 said:
so if m is a mass one would have to have a different R for every gas

Yep. unfortunately this is true. From what I know this approach is used in atmospheric sciences. Some time ago I tried to read a textbook on climate and I found it quite difficult to follow the formulas in which R was not constant.

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of a gas in a closed system. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. What are the different forms of the Ideal Gas Law?

There are three main forms of the Ideal Gas Law: Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, and Avogadro's Law. These laws are derived from the Ideal Gas Law and relate two of the variables while keeping the others constant.

3. What is Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law states that the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to its pressure, as long as the temperature and number of moles of gas remain constant. It can be expressed as P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume, and P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume.

4. What is Charles's Law?

Charles's Law states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature, as long as the pressure and number of moles of gas remain constant. It can be expressed as V1/T1 = V2/T2, where V1 and T1 are the initial volume and temperature, and V2 and T2 are the final volume and temperature.

5. What is Avogadro's Law?

Avogadro's Law states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to the number of moles of gas, as long as the pressure and temperature remain constant. It can be expressed as V1/n1 = V2/n2, where V1 and n1 are the initial volume and number of moles, and V2 and n2 are the final volume and number of moles.