Formula for Natural Frequency of Cantilever Beam

In summary, there are two different equations for finding the natural frequency of a cantilever beam, one with /(2*pi) and one without. The correct equation seems to be F1= k^2*sqrt(E*I/(mpl*L^4))/(2*pi), which gives the frequency in Hz, while the other equation gives the frequency in radians per second. The solution to the governing differential equation for a cantilever beam with mass m at the end is \omega = \sqrt {\frac{k}{m}}, where omega is in radians per second.
Oscar6330
I found two different versions of equations to find natural frequency of a cantilever beam. I am not sure which one is right. I would appreciate if someone could make things a bit clear here

F1= k^2*sqrt(E*I/(mpl*L^4))/(2*pi) where k=1.875 for first natural freq and I= b*d^3/12;

OR is it

F1= k^2*sqrt(E*I/(mpl*L^4)) where k=1.875 for first natural freq and I= b*d^3/12;

Basically I am not sure why some equations have /(2*pi) while others do not and which one is correct

Physics news on Phys.org
Angular frequency , [itex]\omega[/itex] radians /second = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]f cycles per second ?

Studiot said:
Angular frequency , [itex]\omega[/itex] radians /second = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]f cycles per second ?

Thanks. So the first equation gives freq in Hz while other one gives answer in radians per second?

Yes the solution to the governing differential equation for say a cantilever with mass m at the end is

[tex]m\ddot x + kx = 0[/tex]

which has solution

[tex]\omega = \sqrt {\frac{k}{m}} [/tex]

where omega is in rads/second

Last edited:
Studiot said:
Yes the solution to the governing differential equation for say a cantilever with mass m at the end is

[tex]m\ddot x + kx = 0[/tex]

which has solution

[tex]\omega = \sqrt {\frac{k}{m}} [/tex]

where omega is in rads/second

thanks for your kind reply.

So

F1= k^2*sqrt(E*I/(mpl*L^4))/(2*pi)

w1=k^2*sqrt(E*I/(mpl*L^4))

Related to Formula for Natural Frequency of Cantilever Beam

1. What is the formula for natural frequency of a cantilever beam?

The formula for natural frequency of a cantilever beam is: f = (1/2π)√(EI/mL^3), where f is the natural frequency in Hz, E is the Young's modulus of the material, I is the moment of inertia of the cross-section, m is the mass per unit length, and L is the length of the beam.

2. How is the natural frequency of a cantilever beam related to its length and stiffness?

The natural frequency of a cantilever beam is directly proportional to the square root of its stiffness and inversely proportional to the cube of its length. This means that increasing the stiffness or decreasing the length will result in a higher natural frequency.

3. Can the formula for natural frequency of a cantilever beam be used for any type of beam?

No, this formula is specifically for a cantilever beam, which is a beam that is fixed at one end and free at the other. Different types of beams, such as fixed-fixed or simply supported beams, have different formulas for calculating their natural frequency.

4. What is the significance of the natural frequency of a cantilever beam?

The natural frequency of a cantilever beam indicates the rate at which the beam will vibrate when excited by an external force. It is an important factor to consider in the design of structures, as vibrations can cause structural failure if they are not within a safe range.

5. How can the natural frequency of a cantilever beam be altered?

The natural frequency of a cantilever beam can be altered by changing its length, stiffness, or mass. Additionally, adding additional supports or dampers can also affect the natural frequency. In some cases, changing the material of the beam may also have an impact on the natural frequency.