Fourier series and reimann zeta

In summary, the Fourier series expansion for f(x)=x^{3} is \sum\frac{2(-1)^{n}(6-n^{2}\pi^{2})}{n^{3}}sin(nx), and using Parseval's theorem, we can compute \zeta(6)=\sum\frac{1}{n^{6}} to be \frac{\pi^{6}}{945}. To solve for this, we can expand the top and use the values for the Riemann zeta functions of \zeta(2) and \zeta(4).
hectorzer

Homework Statement

Find the Fourier series expansion for f(x)=[itex]x^{3}[/itex], a periodic function on -[itex]\pi[/itex]<x<[itex]\pi[/itex]
Use this to compute [itex]\zeta[/itex](6)=[itex]\sum\frac{1}{n^{6}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Parsevals Theorom,
Real Fourier series

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the Fourier series to be [itex]\sum\frac{2(-1)^{n}(6-n^{2}\pi^{2})}{n^{3}}[/itex]sin(nx)

Using Parsevals theorom I got that [itex]\frac{\pi^{6}}{7}[/itex]=[itex]\sum\frac{4(6-(n\pi)^{2})^{2}}{n^{6}}[/itex]

The answer is supposed to be [itex]\frac{\pi^{6}}{945}[/itex] I think, I can't see where I went wrong :S
Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I got it.
Just had to expand the top and use the values for the riemann zeta functions of zeta=2 and 4 and it works out :)

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is used to decompose complex signals into simpler components and is widely used in fields such as signal processing, physics, and engineering.

2. What is the Reimann zeta function?

The Reimann zeta function is a mathematical function that holds significant importance in number theory and mathematical physics. It is defined as the infinite sum of the reciprocal of natural numbers raised to a certain power and has connections to prime numbers and the distribution of primes.

3. How are Fourier series and the Reimann zeta function related?

The connection between Fourier series and the Reimann zeta function lies in the complex analysis of functions. The Reimann zeta function can be expressed as a Fourier series, and its zeros correspond to the poles of the Fourier transform of a certain type of function. This relationship has been used extensively in the study of number theory and the distribution of prime numbers.

4. What is the significance of the Fourier series and the Reimann zeta function in real-world applications?

The Fourier series and Reimann zeta function have numerous real-world applications, such as in signal processing, data compression, and cryptography. In physics, they are used in the analysis of vibrations and waves, and in engineering, they are used in the design of filters and control systems.

5. Are there any open problems or applications still being explored with Fourier series and the Reimann zeta function?

Yes, there are still many open problems and applications being explored with Fourier series and the Reimann zeta function. Some of the current research includes studying the connections between the two in higher dimensions, using them to solve differential equations and understanding the behavior of zeros of the Reimann zeta function.