1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier series (I need help here)

1. Apr 11, 2006 #1
    Here is the question:
    At [itex] x= \frac{\pi}{2} [/itex] the square wave equals 1. From the Fourier series at this point find the alternating sum that equals [itex] \pi [/itex].
    [tex] \pi = 4(1 - \frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{5}-\frac{1}{7} + \ldots [/tex]

I do not understand what the question is asking. I'm not knowledgeable enough with Fourier series to understand it I believe. This is my best guess:

I need to find the fourier series of the square wave starting at [itex] \frac{\pi}{2} [/itex] fand this will "magically" yield the alternating series for [itex] \pi [/itex].

But I don't understand what "the square wave equals 1" part means. Do I define the square wave to jump to 1 at [itex] \frac{pi}{2} [/itex] instead of the typical wave (typical for me) where the wave is -1 from -pi to 0, and jumps to 1 at 0 to pi ?

Any help clarifying would be swell. Thanks :)

What's up with the LaTeX by the way?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It says consider a square wave that is 1 at pi/2. The most casual one would be the one you mention later: the wave is -1 from -pi to 0, and jumps to 1 at 0 to pi. The fourier series of a function at a point, if it converges towards the function, equals the function evaluated at that point. See what you get when you evaluate the fourier series of the square wave at x=pi/2.
  4. Apr 11, 2006 #3
    For a problem before this one, I just got done evaluating the Fourier series for a square wave with properties:

-1 , -pi to 0
    1 , 0 to pi

[tex] \hat f(x) = \frac{4}{\pi}\left(\frac{\sin x}{1}+\frac{\sin 3x}{3}+\frac{\sin 5x}{5}+\ldots\right) [/tex]

Evaluating the Fourier series at [itex] \frac{\pi}{2} [/itex] yields:
    (It took me so long to realize what this means. :)

[tex] \hat f(\frac{\pi}{2}) = \frac{4}{\pi}\left(\frac{\sin \frac{\pi}{2}}{1}+\frac{\sin \frac{\pi}{2}}{3}+\frac{\sin \frac{\pi}{2}}{5}+\ldots \right) [/tex]

[tex] \hat f(\frac{\pi}{2}) = \frac{4}{\pi}\left(1 + \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{5} + \ldots \right)[/tex]

We know that the square wave at pi/2 is equal to 1 so:
    [tex] 1 = \frac{4}{\pi}\left(1 + \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{5} + \ldots \right) [/tex]

This can then be solved for [itex] \pi [/itex]. But! This is not correct. So is my Fourier series for the square wave wrong?
  5. Apr 12, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sin(3*pi/2) is not sin(pi/2)!!
  6. Apr 12, 2006 #5
    yeah, you are right !

man, I took this stupid cold medicine. I'm just going to go to bed and work on this in the morning, because obviously I'm making some really dumb mistakes!

thanks you guys :)
    that was actually an interesting problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?