Fourier series/ periodic function

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that a periodic function f with a period of 2pi and its horizontally shifted function g(x) = f(x+a) have the same energy. After some back and forth discussion on the definition of Fourier transform and energy, it is concluded that the integral of f(x)^2 and f(x+a)^2 are the same over a single period, regardless of where the period starts.
Brown Arrow

Homework Statement

Suppose f is a periodic function of period 2pi and that g is a horizontal shift of f, say
g(x) = f(x + a). Show that f and g have the same energy.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

i can see that if f(x) is shifted by 'a' that it does not make the function any difference.
but in not sure how should i go about showing it.

could someone help me out pls.

BA

Physics news on Phys.org
If f(x) is shifted by a it does make a difference to the Fourier transform. Can you show that difference doesn't change the energy?

:/ that's the part I am not sure about.. can you give me a hit.

Brown Arrow said:
:/ that's the part I am not sure about.. can you give me a hit.

Probably. What's your definition of Fourier transform and energy? In the complex formulation the Fourier transform of f(x+a) is a complex number times the Fourier transform of f(x). What's the complex number?

well i did not learn it by complex #

my definition of energy is E=(ak)2 +(bk)2

or E=(1/pi) ∫[f(x)]2 ; where the integral is from -pi to pi

help :confused:

Brown Arrow said:
well i did not learn it by complex #

my definition of energy is E=(ak)2 +(bk)2

or E=(1/pi) ∫[f(x)]2 ; where the integral is from -pi to pi

So you want to prove the integral of f(x)^2 and f(x+a)^2 are the same from -pi to pi. Substitute u=x+a. So the u limits are -pi+a to pi+a. The integral of a periodic function over a single period is the same, no matter where the period starts.

i see thanks man

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function, which decomposes the function into an infinite sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes.

2. How is a Fourier series calculated?

A Fourier series can be calculated by using the Fourier coefficients, which are found by integrating the function over one period and dividing by the period. The coefficients are then used to create the Fourier series equation.

3. What are the applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have numerous applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are used to analyze and approximate periodic functions, solve differential equations, and represent signals in frequency domain.

4. Can a non-periodic function have a Fourier series?

No, a non-periodic function cannot have a Fourier series. Fourier series are only valid for periodic functions with a finite period. For non-periodic functions, other mathematical tools such as Fourier transform are used.

5. What is the difference between a Fourier series and a Fourier transform?

A Fourier series is used to represent a periodic function by decomposing it into an infinite sum of sine and cosine functions, while a Fourier transform is used to represent a non-periodic function as a combination of different frequencies. Fourier series are also discrete, while Fourier transform is continuous.