Fourier Transform: F{y(t)}

In summary: Your Fourier transform would be defined as either:$$F(\omega)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) e^{-i \omega t}\, dt$$or$$F(\omega)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) e^{-i \omega t}\, dt$$In the first case you would not have a factor 2pi, while in the second case you would have a factor 2pi.
homad2000

Homework Statement

if y(ω) = F{x(t)}, what is F{y(t)} (F is the Fourier transform operation)

Homework Equations

non

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding F^-1{y(ω)}, which is equal too x(t), but I could not go on with finding F{y(t)}

Physics news on Phys.org
homad2000 said:

Homework Statement

if y(ω) = F{x(t)}, what is F{y(t)} (F is the Fourier transform operation)

Homework Equations

non

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding F^-1{y(ω)}, which is equal too x(t), but I could not go on with finding F{y(t)}

Hi homad2000! :smile:

Check the section on "duality" on the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform
It says what the transform is of a transform with the domain swapped.

I like Serena said:
Hi homad2000! :smile:

Check the section on "duality" on the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform
It says what the transform is of a transform with the domain swapped.

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong:

I got F{y(t)} = x(-ω) ? or should I add the 2π to that?

homad2000 said:
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong:

I got F{y(t)} = x(-ω) ? or should I add the 2π to that?

Yep. That's it.

Whether or not 2π should be added depends on the definition of your Fourier transform.
As you can see on the wiki page, there are 3 different common definitions.
Which of the 3 does your textbook use?

I believe i should add the 2 pi, because we use w = 2 * pi * f

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it :)

homad2000 said:
I believe i should add the 2 pi, because we use w = 2 * pi * f

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it :)

That would not be the reason.

Your Fourier transform would be defined as either:
$$F(\omega)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) e^{-i \omega t}\, dt$$
or
$$F(\omega)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) e^{-i \omega t}\, dt$$

In the first case you would not have a factor 2pi, while in the second case you would have a factor 2pi.

1. What is a Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a complex signal into its constituent frequencies. It allows us to analyze signals in the frequency domain, which can provide insights into the underlying behavior of the signal.

2. How does the Fourier Transform work?

The Fourier Transform works by taking a signal in the time domain and converting it into a representation in the frequency domain. This is done by breaking down the signal into its individual frequencies and representing them as complex numbers. The resulting representation is called the Fourier Transform or the spectrum of the signal.

3. What is the difference between the Fourier Transform and the Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, while the Inverse Fourier Transform does the opposite - it converts a signal from the frequency domain back to the time domain. It is essentially the reverse process of the Fourier Transform.

4. What are the applications of Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform has a wide range of applications in various fields, including signal processing, image processing, data analysis, and physics. It is also used for solving differential equations and in the development of algorithms for faster computation.

5. Are there any limitations of the Fourier Transform?

While the Fourier Transform is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the signal is periodic and infinite, which may not always be the case. It also cannot handle signals with sudden changes or discontinuities, and it may not accurately capture the high-frequency components of a signal.