Fourier transform of a gaussian

In summary, the Fourier transform of a gaussian is equal to another gaussian according to equation (4) on the MathWorld website. However, when using equation (1), a different answer is obtained. It is unclear how the calculations are being done incorrectly using the normal definition of Fourier transforms. Showing the working and setting a=1/2 \sigma ^2 and k=1/2\sqrt{2 pi sigma} may provide more insight.
sleventh
fourier transform of the gaussian (1/[tex]\sqrt{2 pi \sigma}[/tex]) e ^ ([tex]^{x^2/2\sigma^2}[/tex])

now the Fourier of a gaussian is said to equal another gaussian as shown by equation (4) here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FourierTransform.html

but when i also did it using equation (1) here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FourierTransform.html

i find a completely different answer.

im wondering how i am doing the calculations wrong using the normal definition of Fourier transforms.

fourier transforms are very new to me so any help is much appreciated thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
you'll have more chance if you show you working, its pretty hard to guess what you're doing wrong

setting a=1/2 [tex]\sigma[/tex] ^2 and k=1/2[tex]\sqrt{2 pi sigma}[/tex] i use the concept the Fourier of a gaussian equals another gaussian and am given
[tex]\sqrt{2 sigma ^2 pi}[/tex] e^((-2pi^2 [tex]\sigma[/tex]^2 / [tex]\sqrt{2 pi sigma}[/tex]

1. What is the Fourier transform of a gaussian?

The Fourier transform of a gaussian is a mathematical operation that decomposes a gaussian function into its individual sine and cosine components.

2. How is the Fourier transform of a gaussian calculated?

The Fourier transform of a gaussian can be calculated using the formula F(k) = ∫-∞ f(x) e-2πikx dx, where f(x) is the gaussian function and k is the frequency.

3. What is the relationship between a gaussian function and its Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform of a gaussian is also a gaussian function, but with a spread in the frequency domain that is inversely proportional to the spread in the time domain.

4. What are the applications of the Fourier transform of a gaussian?

The Fourier transform of a gaussian is used in many fields, including signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics. It is particularly useful for analyzing signals that contain gaussian-shaped peaks.

5. Can the Fourier transform of a gaussian be used to reconstruct the original signal?

Yes, the inverse Fourier transform of the Fourier transform of a gaussian will result in the original gaussian function. However, the reconstruction may not be exact due to the limitations of the Fourier transform.