1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transforms help

1. May 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f'(p) is the Fourier transform of f(x). Show that the Fourier transform of e^(ip0x)f(x) is f'(p - p0). (using f'(p) for transform)

2. Relevant equations
    f(x) = 1/√(2pi) ∫e^(ipx) f'(p) dp (intergral from -∞ to ∞)

f'(p) = 1/√(2pi) ∫e^(-ipx) f(x) dx (also from -∞ to ∞)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I substituted e^(ip0x) f(x) into the f'(p) formula and after rearranging came up with:

f'(p) = 1/√(2pi) ∫ e^(ix(p - p0))f(x) dx

If I'm completely honest I'm not really sure what I am doing here. I can see that this looks similar to the formula for f'(p) but I was just jiggling things around to see what happened. Its worth mentioning as well that this is a 5 mark question on a past exam paper so I assume that I have to do a lot more than what I have already done. Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Cheers

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2015 #2
    What about setting P = p-p0 ?
    It won't mean anything to the integral because p is constant to x, it's just to make our lives easier !
    In case what i said isn't clear, here's what i mean
    ∫e^(ix(p-p0))f(x) dx = ∫e^(ixP)f(x) dx = f'(P) = f(p-p0)

4. May 14, 2015 #3
    Thanks Noctisdark, think i was just doubting myself but have found that it follows on from there quite nicely. Seems like an easy 5 marks on a paper!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted