Fraction calculation, can't find mistake

In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem where the result given by Wolfram Alpha did not match the one obtained by the speaker. The speaker asked for help in finding the error and the correct answer. Through discussions and calculations, it was determined that the original mistake was in the factorization of ##(1-s^2)##, which led to a different result. The correct factorization was (1-s)(1+s) or (-1)(s-1)(s+1). Eventually, the correct factorized form of the problem was found to be (-1)(s-1)^2(s+1).
late347

Homework Statement

I did some homework and wolfram alpha afterwards gave different result than what I have. Apparently I must have done some error, but I couldn't find error after I doublechecked about two times. So I decided to see if you guys can find an error. And what is the correct answer also. I was pulling my hair out after doing this problem for some time :nb)$$ \frac{\frac{1}{s}-s}{\frac{1}{s}-\frac{1}{s-1}} ~~~~~~ $$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

here we expanded
##(\frac{1}{s}-\frac{s^2}{s})/(\frac{s-1}{s(s-1)}-\frac{s}{s(s-1)})##here I tried to get the plusses and minuses right, but I'm not sure I succeeded
##[\frac{1}{s}+\frac{-s^2}{s}] / [\frac{s-1}{s(s-1)}+\frac{-s}{s(s-1)}]##

##(\frac{1-s^2}{s}) / [\frac{(s-1)-s}{s(s-1)}]##

##[ \frac{1-s^2}{s}] ~~*~~ [\frac{s(s-1)}{-1} ]####\frac{(s-1)(s+1)}{s} * \frac{s(s-1}{-1}#### \frac{(s-1)^2(s+1)(s)}{-s}##

##(-1)(s-1)^2(s+1)##

Physics news on Phys.org
late347 said:

Homework Statement

I did some homework and wolfram alpha afterwards gave different result than what I have. Apparently I must have done some error, but I couldn't find error after I doublechecked about two times. So I decided to see if you guys can find an error. And what is the correct answer also. I was pulling my hair out after doing this problem for some time :nb)$$ \frac{\frac{1}{s}-s}{\frac{1}{s}-\frac{1}{s-1}} ~~~~~~ $$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

here we expanded
##(\frac{1}{s}-\frac{s^2}{s})/(\frac{s-1}{s(s-1)}-\frac{s}{s(s-1)})##here I tried to get the plusses and minuses right, but I'm not sure I succeeded
##[\frac{1}{s}+\frac{-s^2}{s}] / [\frac{s-1}{s(s-1)}+\frac{-s}{s(s-1)}]##

##(\frac{1-s^2}{s}) / [\frac{(s-1)-s}{s(s-1)}]##

##[ \frac{1-s^2}{s}] ~~*~~ [\frac{s(s-1)}{-1} ]####\frac{(s-1)(s+1)}{s} * \frac{s(s-1}{-1}#### \frac{(s-1)^2(s+1)(s)}{-s}##

##(-1)(s-1)^2(s+1)##
Looks OK.

What's the problem you're having?

basically ##(1-s^2) = (1^2-s^2)##

so that is (1+s) (1-s)

= 1-s +s -s^2
= 1- s^2

late347 said:
basically ##(1-s^2) = (1^2-s^2)##

so that is (1+s) (1-s)

= 1-s +s -s^2
= 1- s^2
Yes.

fresh_42 said:
Yes.
can you bold print my mistake in quote for example

You wrote
##[ \frac{1-s^2}{s}] ~~*~~ [\frac{s(s-1)}{-1} ] = \frac{(s-1)(s+1)}{s} * \frac{s(s-1}{-1}##
But ## (s-1)(s+1) \neq (1-s)(1+s)##

Likes late347
I think I got it right this time.

(s-1)(s+1)

= s^2 +s -s -1

##=~~ (+s^2~~-1)##

the correct part said that the factors were as follows

## (1-s) (1+s) = 1 +s -s -s^2##
##= -s^2 +1##

the latter case is the "counter number" to the other number (multiplied by minus one)

SammyS said:
Looks OK.

What's the problem you're having?
Oh!

not quite OK !

sign mistake

late347 said:
I think I got it right this time.

(s-1)(s+1)

= s^2 +s -s -1

##=~~ (+s^2~~-1)##
The other way around. Until ##1-s^2## everything was fine, and by the way, afterwards, too. You simply changed the sign by substituting ##1-s^2 = (s-1)(s+1)## which is wrong by ##-1##. You should have used ##1-s^2=(1-s)(1+s)## or ##1-s^2=(-1)(s-1)(s+1)##

SammyS said:
Oh!

not quite OK !

sign mistake
looks like the tricky math prob got under your skin at first also ! xD

late347 said:
looks like the tricky math prob got under your skin at first also ! xD
SammyS said:
Oh!

not quite OK !

sign mistake
By the way. Me, too. I only found out as I calculated it on my own. At first sight I assumed a false input in Wolfram.

Last edited:
ok i will try to post the new answer in full, but it will be tedious because of Latex code

##\frac{1/s-s}{1/s-[1/(s-1)]}####\frac{(1-s^2)/s}{(-1)/[s(s-1)]}####\frac{(1-s)(1+s)}{s}*\frac{s(s-1)}{-1}####\frac{(1-s)(1+s)(s)(s-1)}{(-1)(s)}####\frac{(-1)(s-1)(s)(s-1)(s+1)}{-1s}##

##\frac{(s-1)^2(s)(s+1)}{s}##

##(s-1)^2(s+1)##

What does Wolfram give?

Did I somehow miss that in one of these posts?

SammyS said:
What does Wolfram give?

I think I did a wrong factorization for the term ##(1^2 -s^2)##evidently wolfram alpha did not become fooled by that.

this skewed my result from early on. I tried to use the memory formula for the ##(a^2-b^2)## for finding factors

SammyS said:
What does Wolfram give?

No. The OP hasn't said and I haven't done. Far too many parenthesis to type in.

code for wolfram alpha&& inside these &&

&& (1/s-s)/(1/s-1/(s-1)) &&

looks like I did the problem correctly as post # 14 will show the same alternative form result as wolfram alpha.

##
(1-s)(1-s^2)
##

or

##
(s-1)^2(s+1)
##

late347 said:
code for wolfram alpha&& inside these &&

&& (1/s-s)/(1/s-1/(s-1)) &&
I wouldn't have relied on this ambiguous inline coding. I prefer to use parenthesis to avoid false interpretations.
Concerning the sign error all of us blundered into: it happens. Nothing to worry about.

I think modern wolfram alpha shows the input in variable forms like fraction line form of the division as a picture

fresh_42 said:
I wouldn't have relied on this ambiguous inline coding. I prefer to use parenthesis to avoid false interpretations.
Concerning the sign error all of us blundered into: it happens. Nothing to worry about.
did you get the same result as post 14 from me

late347 said:
did you get the same result as post 14 from me
Yes.

late347 said:
I think modern wolfram alpha shows the input in variable forms like fraction line form of the division as a picture
This way one can see, whether the input was correct or not. However, one shouldn't get used to it in the sense that "everybody knows what is meant", because it is a total unnecessary source of potential mistakes.

We often read things like "e^t^2/2" where it is not clear without additional knowledge that ##e^{\frac{1}{2}t^2}## is meant and not ##\frac{1}{2}e^{t^2}## or ##e^t \, ##.

Likes late347
What I get was s3 - s2 - s +1

SammyS said:
What I get was s3 - s2 - s +1

¨now we have competition between the answers it seems:biggrin:

looks like that comes out at the same factorization so it looks like what I got,

1. What is a fraction?

A fraction is a mathematical expression that represents a part of a whole. It is written as one number (the numerator) over another number (the denominator), separated by a horizontal line. For example, 1/2 is a fraction where 1 is the numerator and 2 is the denominator.

2. How do you add or subtract fractions?

To add or subtract fractions, the denominators must be the same. If they are not, you must find a common denominator by multiplying the denominators together. Then, convert each fraction to have the common denominator and add or subtract the numerators. Simplify the resulting fraction if possible.

3. What is the rule for multiplying fractions?

The rule for multiplying fractions is to simply multiply the numerators together and then multiply the denominators together. The resulting fraction may need to be simplified.

4. How do you divide fractions?

To divide fractions, you must invert (flip) the second fraction and then multiply it by the first fraction. Simplify the resulting fraction if possible.

5. What are some common mistakes when calculating fractions?

Some common mistakes when calculating fractions include forgetting to simplify the resulting fraction, using the wrong operation (such as adding instead of multiplying), and not converting to a common denominator when adding or subtracting fractions. It is also important to pay attention to the signs of the fractions (positive or negative) when performing operations.