1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fractional Distillation Calculations

1. Mar 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

4-bromotoluene was synthesized and purified by distillation. There are 5ml of the crude product. A fractional distillation is being carried out in a 100ml round bottom flask. Assume that the volume of the column is 16ml. Determine the number of moles of 4-bromotoluene that will remain vaporized and cannot be collected. What will the volume of the condensed vapor be?

2. Relevant equations

PV=nRT
    Total Pressure=χaPa+χbPb, where χis the mole fraction of a or b and P is the normal pressure of a or b.
    bp of 4-bromotoluene is 184C
    density=1.39g/ml
    MW=171.13g/mol

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that we are trying to find n using PV=nRT. However, I'm not sure which values we plug in. Do I use V=16ml for the volume inside the column? Do I use the boiling point for T? Also, how do you find the pressure of the system? If P= the total pressure of the mixture, how would you find it if you don't know how much of the compound is made up of 4-bromotoluene and what the pressure of 4-bromotoluene is?

Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?