Free Body Diagram and Newton's 2nd

In summary, the student's attempt at a solution is in the picture, and he or she is asking if their diagram is correct. TheAttempt at a Solution
odie5533

Homework Statement

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/2125/diagramkl0.png

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is in the picture. I am trying to get the diagram done before I continue on because if I mess up in the diagram, my work is guaranteed to be wrong. So basically what I am asking is is my diagram correct?

NOTE: the diagram in the bottom right was drawn by the professor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you draw a FBD of the system as a whole (both blocks together), you must identify only the weight of the system and the forces external to your FBD. The friction forces between the two blocks or normal force between the 2 blocks do not enter into the FBD of the system.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6476/diagram2yj3.png
Is that right?

odie5533 said:
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6476/diagram2yj3.png
Is that right?
Yes, more or less. You have the horizontal and vertical components of the applied force F, and the weight...which you should identify as the weight of BOTH blocks...and the Normal force of the floor on the bottom block. Your FBD should look more like your professor's diagram with those forces identified on it.

Ok, I drew it on my paper. So for B:
[tex]\sum F = Fcos\theta = (m_{1} + m_{2})a[/tex]
[tex]a = \frac{Fcos\theta}{m_{1} + m_{2}}[/tex]

And C:
[tex]\sum F_{m1} = Fcos\theta - \mu_{s}m_{1}g = m_{1}a[/tex]
[tex]\sum F_{m2} = \mu_{s}m_{1}g = m_{2}a[/tex]
[tex]a = \frac{\mu_{s}m_{1}g}{m_{2}}[/tex]
[tex]Fcos\theta - \mu_{s}m_{1}g = \frac{m_{1}^2\mu_{s}g}{m_{2}}[/tex]
[tex]Fcos\theta = \frac{m_{1}^2g}{m_{2}}\mu_{s} + m_{1}g\mu_{s}[/tex]
[tex]\mu_{s} = \frac{Fcos\theta}{\frac{m_{1}^2g}{m_{2}} + m_{1}g}[/tex]

odie5533 said:
Ok, I drew it on my paper. So for B:
[tex]\sum F = Fcos\theta = (m_{1} + m_{2})a[/tex]
[tex]a = \frac{Fcos\theta}{m_{1} + m_{2}}[/tex]
Looks good!

odie5533 said:
And C:
[tex]\sum F_{m1} = Fcos\theta - \mu_{s}m_{1}g = m_{1}a[/tex]
[tex]\sum F_{m2} = \mu_{s}m_{1}g = m_{2}a[/tex]
[tex]a = \frac{\mu_{s}m_{1}g}{m_{2}}[/tex]
[tex]Fcos\theta - \mu_{s}m_{1}g = \frac{m_{1}^2\mu_{s}g}{m_{2}}[/tex]
[tex]Fcos\theta = \frac{m_{1}^2g}{m_{2}}\mu_{s} + m_{1}g\mu_{s}[/tex]
[tex]\mu_{s} = \frac{Fcos\theta}{\frac{m_{1}^2g}{m_{2}} + m_{1}g}[/tex]
A very nice attempt with your FBD's, but you fell a bit short. The friction force is mu_s times the normal force. You have not correcty identified the normal force between the 2 blocks. And don't lose sight of what the problem is asking for. It gets a tad confusing with so many letters and oh so few numbers.

Had class about 3 hours ago (turned this in with the wrong answer). At least it wasn't lonely, I had a whole paper with wrong answers to keep it company.

[tex]Normal_{m2/m1} = m_{1}g + Fsin\theta[/tex]
[tex]F_{friction} = \mu_{s}n = \mu_{s}(m_{1}g + Fsin\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\sum F_{m2} = F_{friction} = m_{2}a[/tex]
[tex]a = \frac{F_{friction}}{m_{2}}[/tex][tex]\sum F_{m1} = Fcos\theta - F_{friction} = m_{1}{a}[/tex]
[tex]Fcos\theta - F_{friction} = m_{1}\frac{F_{friction}}{m_{2}}[/tex]
[tex]F = \frac{\frac{m_{1}F_{friction}}{m_{2}} + F_{friction}}{cos\theta}[/tex]

It still looks wrong, and I'm still laughing at me solving for [tex]\mu_{s}[/tex] and turning that in.

odie5533 said:
Had class about 3 hours ago (turned this in with the wrong answer). At least it wasn't lonely, I had a whole paper with wrong answers to keep it company.

[tex]Normal_{m2/m1} = m_{1}g + Fsin\theta[/tex]
[tex]F_{friction} = \mu_{s}n = \mu_{s}(m_{1}g + Fsin\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\sum F_{m2} = F_{friction} = m_{2}a[/tex]
[tex]a = \frac{F_{friction}}{m_{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\sum F_{m1} = Fcos\theta - F_{friction} = m_{1}{a}[/tex]
[tex]Fcos\theta - F_{friction} = m_{1}\frac{F_{friction}}{m_{2}}[/tex]
[tex]F = \frac{\frac{m_{1}F_{friction}}{m_{2}} + F_{friction}}{cos\theta}[/tex]

It still looks wrong, and I'm still laughing at me solving for [tex]\mu_{s}[/tex] and turning that in.
Your ability to draw FBD's is exceeded only by your abilty to use LaTex, good job at both. I don't see anything wrong with what you've done; I'm wondering if you used the result of the acceleration from the 'system' FBD if the result for F would be simpler. If F exceeds a certain value, then the block on top will slide. Too many letters for me to figure it out.

Thanks for the help. I just realized [tex]F_{friction}[/tex] has [tex]Fsin\theta[/tex] in it. Even using the system acceleration, I get this:
[tex]F = \frac{\mu_{s}m_{1}g}{\frac{m_{2}cos\theta}{m_{1} + m_{2}} - \mu_{s}sin\theta}[/tex]
That is after quite a bit of simplification... I'm surprised this question was so complicated. The other questions did not take nearly as long to complete.

FAQ: Free Body Diagram and Newton's 2nd

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It includes all the external forces acting on the object and the direction and magnitude of each force.

2. How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you first need to identify the object and all the external forces acting on it. Then, draw a dot to represent the object and draw arrows representing each force, with the direction and magnitude labeled.

3. What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the greater the mass of the object, the slower its acceleration will be.

4. How do you use Newton's second law with free body diagrams?

To use Newton's second law with free body diagrams, you can set up and solve equations to determine the net force on the object and its resulting acceleration. The net force is equal to the sum of all the forces acting on the object, and the acceleration can be calculated by dividing the net force by the mass of the object.

5. What are the common mistakes when using free body diagrams and Newton's second law?

Some common mistakes when using free body diagrams and Newton's second law include forgetting to include all the external forces, mislabeling the direction or magnitude of forces, and not properly accounting for the mass of the object. It is also important to remember that forces act in pairs and to consider the equal and opposite reaction force in the diagram and equations.