Copper Electron Pressure: 105atm & Its Effects

In summary, the pressure of the electrons in a piece of copper is about 105 atm. However, this pressure is not due to an external potential difference, but is related to the energy of the free electrons in the gas.
kent davidge
The pressure of the electrons of Copper are about 105atm. Why, then, don’t the electrons in a piece of copper simply explode out of the metal?

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
The pressure of the electrons of Copper are about 105atm. Why, then, don’t the electrons in a piece of copper simply explode out of the metal?

where did you read this ? it doesn't sound right
maybe you misunderstood what was being said

The electrons are not alone in the piece of Cooper, are they?

davenn said:
where did you read this ? it doesn't sound right
maybe you misunderstood what was being said
nasu said:
The electrons are not alone in the piece of Cooper, are they?

(Sorry for my poor English.) I was thinking of a cooper wire under a potential difference. I forgot where I read about that pressure of free electrons.

The pressure of the free electron gas has nothing to do with some external potential difference.
It is related to the energy of the Fermi electron gas.
You can read about it in solid state textbooks.

But a copper wire contains more than just the electron gas.

nasu said:
The pressure of the free electron gas has nothing to do with some external potential difference.
It is related to the energy of the Fermi electron gas.
You can read about in in solid state textbooks.

But a copper wire contains more than just the electron gas.
Ok, so how large is the pressure due the conduction electrons in a ordinary wire?

nasu said:
Of the order you mentioned in the OP
then why don’t the electrons explode out of the wire?

I asked you twice. What else is there in a piece of wire, besides the electrons?

nasu said:
I asked you twice. What else is there in a piece of wire, besides the electrons?
uuh ok, I'm sorry, you mentioned that earlier. Then would the ions create a "negative" pressure?

The positive ions and the negative electrons create a stable system.
This is taken into account when the electrons in the "free" electron gas are treated as particles in a box.

nasu said:
The positive ions and the negative electrons create a stable system.
This is taken into account when the electrons in the "free" electron gas are treated as particles in a box.
Now I have understood it. Thank you !

1. What is copper electron pressure?

Copper electron pressure refers to the amount of force exerted by the electrons in a copper atom. It is typically measured in units of atmospheres (atm) and can vary depending on the conditions and state of the copper.

2. How does copper electron pressure affect the properties of copper?

The electron pressure in copper can affect its properties in several ways. At high pressures, copper can become more conductive and its melting point can increase. On the other hand, at low pressures, the copper may become less conductive and more malleable.

3. What is the typical electron pressure of copper?

The typical electron pressure of copper is around 105 atm. However, this can vary depending on factors such as temperature and the presence of other elements or impurities in the copper.

4. How is copper electron pressure measured?

Copper electron pressure can be measured using various techniques, such as high pressure experiments or theoretical calculations. These methods often involve subjecting the copper to extreme pressures and observing its behavior or using mathematical models to predict its electron pressure.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding copper electron pressure?

Understanding copper electron pressure can have various applications in fields such as materials science and engineering. It can help in developing new materials with specific properties, improving the performance of existing materials, and understanding the behavior of copper in high-pressure environments, such as in industrial processes or in the Earth's core.