Free Electron Theory: Majority From d/f Orbitals?

In summary: Group 1: 1, 2, 3, 3In summary, the majority of free electrons in a conductor are from the backfilled d and f orbitals in the metals, as opposed to the outer s and p orbitals that are responsible for bonding. Thermal excitation can cause some electrons from the s and p orbitals to contribute to conduction, but the majority come from the d and f orbitals with higher energies. This is also the reason why conductors are able to conduct electricity.
Runei
Hey you clever people.

Im getting ready for an exam in physics, and I have a question regarding the free-electron theory of metals, especially conductors.

The questions is actually quite simple: Is the MAJORITY of free electrons in a conductor from the backfilled d orbitals in the metals?

As far as I can remember, the d and f orbitals are being "backfilled" "further in" than than the outer orbitals of s and p.

The s and p orbitals are the orbitals that give rise to the bonding mechanisms. I believe that because of thermal excitation, some of the electrons in the s and p orbitals CAN become part of the conduction band and therefore give rise to a current, but as I understand it, the MAJORITY of the conduction electrons are from the d and f orbitals. I believe this is also the reason that conductors ARE conductors, since they have electrons that have higher energies than the outermost electrons.

Am I completely wrong or do I grasp something correctly?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Runei said:
Im getting ready for an exam in physics, and I have a question regarding the free-electron theory of metals, especially conductors.

The questions is actually quite simple: Is the MAJORITY of free electrons in a conductor from the backfilled d orbitals in the metals?
Think of Li, Na, Mg, Al...

1. What is the Free Electron Theory?

The Free Electron Theory is a physical model that describes the behavior of electrons in a solid material. It proposes that the electrons in a solid are not bound to a specific atom, but are free to move throughout the material.

2. How does the Free Electron Theory explain the majority of electrons coming from d/f orbitals?

The Free Electron Theory explains that in a solid material, the valence electrons from d/f orbitals are able to move freely and contribute to the majority of the electrons in the material. This is because d/f orbitals have a higher energy level compared to s/p orbitals, making them more easily accessible for conduction.

3. What is the significance of the majority of electrons coming from d/f orbitals?

The majority of electrons coming from d/f orbitals is significant because it explains the properties of conductors, insulators, and semiconductors. Materials with a large number of free electrons from d/f orbitals are good conductors, while those with fewer free electrons are insulators. Semiconductors have an intermediate number of free electrons, making them useful for electronic devices.

4. Are there any exceptions to the Free Electron Theory?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the Free Electron Theory. For example, in materials with a strong ionic or covalent bonding, the electrons may not be able to move freely and the theory may not apply. Also, at very low temperatures, the electrons may become localized and not behave as free electrons.

5. How does the Free Electron Theory relate to other theories of electron behavior?

The Free Electron Theory is related to other theories, such as the Band Theory of solids and the Quantum Theory. It provides a simplified explanation for the behavior of electrons in a solid, while the other theories provide more detailed explanations at the atomic level. The Free Electron Theory is often used as a starting point for understanding the properties of materials, while the other theories provide a more comprehensive understanding.