Calculating Mass from Weight and Distance

In summary, mass can be calculated by dividing weight by the gravitational constant and multiplying by the distance, with weight measured in Newtons and distance in meters. It cannot be accurately calculated using pounds and feet, and the formula is mass = weight/gravitational constant * distance. The calculation is fairly accurate, but may not be exact due to variations and errors.
majormuss

Homework Statement

How can I find mass when weight and distance is given.(Note I can't use 9.8m/s^2 as my acceleration of gravity because the question is dealing distances that are extremely high from Earth's surface.And also how can i find the right acceleration at such heights?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

am stuck cos I know i can't use 9.8m/s^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you come across Newton's theory of gravitation?
[tex]F_{g} = \frac{Gm_{1}m_{2}}{r^2}[/tex]

There are a few factors to consider when calculating mass from weight and distance. First, it is important to understand that weight and mass are not the same thing. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Therefore, to calculate mass, we need to use the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

In order to find the right acceleration at extremely high distances from Earth's surface, we need to consider the effects of gravity at those distances. The acceleration due to gravity decreases as distance from Earth's surface increases, following the inverse square law. This means that the acceleration at a certain distance from Earth's surface will be less than 9.8m/s^2. To find the exact acceleration at a specific distance, we can use the equation a=(GM)/(r^2), where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of Earth, and r is the distance from Earth's center.

Once we have calculated the correct acceleration at the given distance, we can use the equation F=ma to find the mass. Remember to convert the weight to Newtons (N) before plugging it into the equation.

Overall, it is important to consider the effects of gravity at different distances from Earth's surface when calculating mass from weight and distance. It may also be helpful to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units.

1. How do I calculate mass from weight and distance?

Mass can be calculated by dividing weight by the gravitational constant (9.8 m/s^2) and then multiplying by the distance from the center of the object to the center of the Earth (in meters).

2. What units should be used for weight and distance?

Weight should be measured in Newtons (N) and distance should be measured in meters (m).

3. Can mass be calculated using pounds and feet?

No, mass cannot be accurately calculated using pounds and feet. The standard unit for mass is kilograms (kg) and distance should be measured in meters (m).

4. Is there a formula for calculating mass from weight and distance?

Yes, the formula for calculating mass is mass = weight/gravitational constant * distance.

5. How accurate is the calculation of mass from weight and distance?

The calculation of mass from weight and distance is fairly accurate, but it may not be exact due to variations in gravitational force and measurement errors.