Free surface river?(Fluent 2d)

• Thread starter farhad_mech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2d Surface
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with defining the free surface between water and air in their 2D river model in Fluent and Gambit. They are unsure how to define the free surface and mention a potential solution involving a volume ratio expression and using the volume fraction variable. They suggest looking at CFX tutorial number 7 for more information.
farhad_mech
hello
i want to model and analyze a 2d river which passes a step, in fluent and gambit, but i don't have any idea how should i define free surface between water and air, here is my geometry:

i really appreciate if anybody can help me.

Attachments

• river.JPG
    river.JPG
    3.9 KB · Views: 535
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, you don't know where the surface is before hand, so meshing directly to it isn't possible. I believe in most commercial codes, there is a variable called volume ratio or something like that which is defined.

If you have access to CFX tutorials, version 11, tutorial number 7: Free surface flow over a bump is exactly what you're looking for. That tutorial simply defines the free surface using a volume ratio expression, and then let's the mesh adapt using the volume fraction (just looked up, fraction is the correct variable) as the criteria.

1. What is a free surface river?

A free surface river is a type of fluid flow in which the water surface is not confined by a channel or solid boundary. It is typically associated with open channels, such as rivers, streams, and canals, where the water is free to move and change shape due to external forces.

2. How is a free surface river modeled in Fluent 2D?

Fluent 2D uses a finite volume method to model free surface rivers. This involves dividing the river into small control volumes and solving equations for the flow variables at each volume. The volume of fluid (VOF) method is also commonly used, which tracks the position of the free surface using a scalar variable.

3. What are the key challenges in simulating free surface rivers in Fluent 2D?

One of the main challenges is accurately capturing the complex interactions between the free surface and the river bed, as well as other objects in the river, such as debris and vegetation. The resolution of the computational grid also plays a crucial role in obtaining accurate results.

4. Can Fluent 2D model sediment transport in free surface rivers?

Yes, Fluent 2D has the capability to model sediment transport in free surface rivers. This includes the advection and settling of sediment particles, erosion and deposition of sediment on the river bed, and interactions between sediment and the free surface.

5. How can simulations of free surface rivers in Fluent 2D be validated?

Validation of Fluent 2D simulations of free surface rivers can be done by comparing the results with experimental data or field measurements. This can include parameters such as water surface elevation, flow velocity, and sediment transport rates. Sensitivity analyses can also be performed to assess the accuracy of the simulation results.