Frequency: Electromagnetic waves

In summary, the conversation delves into the relationship between the angular frequency of electromagnetic waves and the frequency of photons. It is determined that while in classical electromagnetism, the energy of light is dependent on the amplitude of the wave, in quantum theory, it is dependent on the frequency. It is also noted that increasing the frequency of a classical EM wave does not increase the energy, as the number of photons decreases. It is agreed that the frequency of light in classical EM theory is the same as the frequency of photons.
ravikannaujiya
Are the angular frequency in electromagnetic waves and frequency of a photon characterise the same physical quantity? I know that these come under two different theory, but I want to know whether these names (angular frequency of em wave and frequency of photon) mean the same physical quantity or they mean different physical quantities. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Angular frequency is normally in radians per second, i.e. ##\omega = 2\pi f ## and frequency (f) is normally given in hertz, or cycles per second.
Otherwise, I believe there is no difference in the meanings of the frequencies of EM waves and photons.

Thanks for replying. I also think that there is no fundamental difference between them. But, I have asked the question because in Electromagnetic theory, energy of light depends on the amplitude of the wave but not on the frequency, while energy of light depends on frequency in quantum theory. So, I thought the angular frequency of em wave (which energy is independent of) and frequency of photon (which define energy of light) describe two different things or both have different meaning in different theory.

ravikannaujiya said:
But, I have asked the question because in Electromagnetic theory, energy of light depends on the amplitude of the wave but not on the frequency, while energy of light depends on frequency in quantum theory.

Hmmm. I was under the impression that the energy of a classical EM wave increases with both increasing amplitude AND increasing frequency.

Likes davenn
That's true for mechanical waves.

Drakkith is correct, its also true for EM

have a search on the increasing energy of EM freq at IR, visible light, UV, x-ray and gamma radiation and you will see the increasing electron volt valuesDave

davenn said:

have a search on the increasing energy of EM freq at IR, visible light, UV, x-ray and gamma radiation and you will see the increasing electron volt valuesDave
My understanding is that the energy of a wave is always dependent on its amplitude (energy proportional to amplitude squared). Although the energy of a light beam is in the form of waves, it is contained in small packets, the quanta. As the frequency is raised, the packets each contain more energy, so the light becomes granular in nature. For some purposes, such as triggering chemical reactions and electron emission, it is the energy in a packet which is important.

Untitled.jpg

davenn said:

read page number 488 third line from above of Sear and Zemansky's University Physics 13th edition. Let me send a screen shot of the said paragraph.

unreadable ... what's your point ?

Untitled.jpg

First its not my point its something conceptual that the book says...

"Electromagnetic waves turn out to be a bit different. While the average rate of energy transfer in an electromagnetic wave is proportional to the square of the amplitude, just as for mechanical waves, it is independent of the value of ω ."

Last edited:
ravikannaujiya said:
Electromagnetic theory, energy of light depends on the amplitude of the wave but not on the frequency, while energy of light depends on frequency in quantum theory.

In quantum theory, the energy per photon depends on frequency. A classical electromagnetic wave corresponds to many many many many ... many many photons.

When you increase the amplitude of a classical electromagnetic wave but keep the frequency the same, the energy carried by the wave increases. The energy per photon stays the same, and the number of photons increases so as to increase the total energy.

When you keep the amplitude of a classical electromagnetic wave the same, but increase the frequency, the energy carried by the wave stays the same. The energy per photon increases, but there are now fewer photons, so the total energy stays the same.

jtbell said:
When you keep the amplitude of a classical electromagnetic wave the same, but increase the frequency, the energy carried by the wave stays the same. The energy per photon increases, but there are now fewer photons, so the total energy stays the same.

Interesting. I thought the energy of the wave increased with increasing frequency as well as amplitude. But apparently not!

The average energy flux (J/(m2·s)) in an electromagnetic wave, averaged out over the oscillations, is $$\langle u \rangle = \frac{1}{2}\epsilon_0 c E_\textrm{max}^2 = \frac{1}{2 \mu_0} c B_\textrm{max}^2$$

so, I think we are settled on that energy of light depends on amplitude in EM theory and on frequency in quantum theory. Now, please, could anyone tell me whether frequency of light in EM theory is same as frequency of light in quantum theory or not.

ravikannaujiya said:
so, I think we are settled on that energy of light depends on amplitude in EM theory and on frequency in quantum theory. Now, please, could anyone tell me whether frequency of light in EM theory is same as frequency of light in quantum theory or not.

As far as I understand it, the frequency of an EM wave in classical physics is the same as the frequency of a photon, so yes.

thank you guys... :)

Related to Frequency: Electromagnetic waves

What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that can travel through space and matter. They are created by the movement of electrically charged particles and can range in frequency from radio waves to gamma rays.

How do electromagnetic waves differ from other types of waves?

Electromagnetic waves do not require a medium to travel through, unlike other types of waves such as sound waves. They can also travel at the speed of light and have different properties depending on their frequency, such as wavelength and energy.

What is frequency in relation to electromagnetic waves?

Frequency refers to the number of complete waves that pass a given point in a certain amount of time. In the case of electromagnetic waves, frequency is measured in Hertz (Hz) and determines the type of wave, such as radio or microwave.

How do electromagnetic waves interact with matter?

The interaction of electromagnetic waves with matter depends on the frequency of the wave. Low frequency waves, like radio waves, are easily absorbed and can be used for communication, while high frequency waves, like x-rays, can penetrate matter and be used for imaging.

What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have a wide range of applications in our daily lives. They are used in communication technologies, such as radios and cell phones, as well as in medical imaging, like x-rays and MRIs. They are also used in everyday household appliances, such as microwaves and remote controls.