Frequency of EM wave from linearly accelerating charge.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an accelerating charge emitting an EM wave, and the question of how to determine the frequency of this wave. It is debated whether a linearly accelerating charge actually radiates, and this topic receives attention in theoretical circles. The conversation also brings up the question of whether a charge on a spaceship with rocket motors burning would radiate, and if not, it could violate the strong equivalence principle. A suggested reference for further reading on the topic is provided.
mohanarao
Hello everyone! This is my first posting. According to Maxwell, an accelerating charge emits a EM wave. All the books I have referred to, talk about the frequency of oscillating charge. How can we determine the frequency of EM wave emitted by a charge that is accelerating linearly? Thank you. This problem is with me for some time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is an open question whether a linearly accelerating charge actually radiates. This question gets a decent amount of attention in theoretical circles. To give you a flavor of the debate, assume that a linearly accelerating charge does emit radiation. If I were in a spaceship with rocket motors burning, accelerating the rocket at 9.8m/s^2, and I had a charge sitting on the floor, it would radiate right?
Now if that same spaceship is still on the launchpad on Earth, would that charge on the floor radiate? If it does not, then this violates the strong equivalence principal (general relativity). If is does than what is supplying the energy needed for this charge to continuously radiate?

Here is one reference that you can lookup online:
Radiation from a Uniformly Accelerated Charge
Stephen Parrott
University of Massachusetts at Boston

Dear 'the emi guy', thanks for your response. Checked the reference you suggested. It is informative. I did not realize it is such a weighty problem.

Related to Frequency of EM wave from linearly accelerating charge.

1. What is the relationship between the frequency of an electromagnetic wave and a linearly accelerating charge?

The frequency of an electromagnetic (EM) wave is directly proportional to the acceleration of a charge. This means that as the charge accelerates, the frequency of the EM wave also increases.

2. How does the frequency of an EM wave change as the acceleration of the charge changes?

The frequency of an EM wave will change in direct proportion to the change in acceleration of the charge. This means that if the acceleration increases, the frequency will also increase, and if the acceleration decreases, the frequency will also decrease.

3. What is the formula for calculating the frequency of an EM wave from a linearly accelerating charge?

The formula for calculating the frequency of an EM wave from a linearly accelerating charge is f = a/2π, where f is the frequency in hertz (Hz) and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s²).

4. How does the frequency of an EM wave from a linearly accelerating charge compare to that of a stationary charge?

The frequency of an EM wave from a linearly accelerating charge is higher than that of a stationary charge. This is because the acceleration of the charge causes the frequency to increase, while a stationary charge has no acceleration and therefore has a lower frequency.

5. Are there any factors other than acceleration that can affect the frequency of an EM wave from a linearly accelerating charge?

No, acceleration is the only factor that directly affects the frequency of an EM wave from a linearly accelerating charge. However, other factors such as the mass and charge of the accelerating charge can indirectly affect the frequency by influencing the acceleration.