Frequency Response Function - Random Vibration

In summary, the conversation discusses the investigation of the effect of an earthquake on an elevated water tank with a mass of 2x10^6 kg, natural frequency of 10.6 rad/s, and a damping coefficient of 12% critical damping. The ground acceleration is approximated by a constant spectrum of 0.0075m^2/s^3. The desired outcomes are the frequency response function for displacement, mean square response of displacement, and standard deviation of displacement. The conversation also includes equations and steps for obtaining these outcomes.
Dunc26
Hi looking for some help on the below I'm a little bit stuck.

The effect of an earthquake on an elevated water tank is to be investigated. The water tank has mass m=2x10^6 kg and natural frequency wn=10.6 rad/s and a damping coefficient of 12% critical damping.
Ground acceleration can be approximated by constant spectrum So=0.0075m2/s3
Obtain:
i) The frequency response function for the displacement of tank mass relative to the ground
ii) Mean square response of displacement
iii) Standard deviation of displacement

Frequency Response = Output / Input

mz"+cz'+kz=-my" .......Eq 1

Where z is the relative displacement
and y is input

I've done some work on something similar in the past where I have used the Force input to the system to get the frequency response function and obtain the equation:

H(w) = 1 / (k-(mw^2)+icw

This gives the frequency response function of the elevated mass displacement relative to the input force?

Using the equation: mz"+cz'+kz=-my"

If I take the input displacement
y = Ae^iwt (where A is a constant then)
y' = iwtAe^iwt
y"= -w^2.Ae^iwt

The output would then be
z = Be^iwt
z' = iwtBe^iwt
z" = -w^2.Be^iwt

subtituting into Eq 1

(k+iwc-mw^2)B.e^iwt = (mw^2)A.e^iwt

Therefore response is equal to B/A
= (mw^2) / (k+iwc-mw^2)

Is this along the correct lines??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
could anyone shed some light on this question? i have the same problem (saves me writing a new thread etc.)

1. What is a frequency response function (FRF) in relation to random vibration?

A frequency response function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between an input signal and the corresponding output signal of a system, in the frequency domain. In the context of random vibration, it is used to describe the system's response to random excitations or vibrations at different frequencies.

2. How is a frequency response function obtained?

A frequency response function can be obtained through experimental testing or analytical modeling. In experimental testing, a shaker or other excitation source is used to apply random vibrations to the system at different frequencies, and the response is measured using accelerometers or other sensors. In analytical modeling, the system's properties and input excitations are used to calculate the FRF using mathematical equations.

3. What is the significance of the frequency response function in random vibration analysis?

The frequency response function is a crucial tool in random vibration analysis as it helps in understanding the dynamic behavior of a system under random excitations. It provides information on the system's natural frequencies, damping, and resonance characteristics which are crucial in predicting its response to random vibrations.

4. Can a frequency response function be used to predict the response of a system to any random excitation?

No, a frequency response function is only valid for the input excitations it was obtained for. If the input excitation changes, the FRF will also change, and its use in predicting the system's response to random vibrations will not be accurate. Therefore, it is essential to carefully select the input excitations used in obtaining the FRF to ensure its validity.

5. How is a frequency response function used in practical applications?

The frequency response function is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of structures and mechanical systems to ensure they can withstand random vibrations. It is also used in the development of vibration isolation systems and in predicting the performance of electronic components subject to random vibrations, among others.