Frequnncy and 1/t, I don't really understand

In summary, frequency, denoted by ##f##, is the number of cycles per unit time (normally one second). In this context, time, denoted by ##t##, is the time for each cycle. By definition, ##t = 1/f; f = 1/t; ft = 1##. It can also be stated that frequency is one over the period, where the period is the time taken for one cycle of the oscillating object. This helps to clarify the concept and avoid confusion.
SsagatroNN
if freqeuncy is 1/t then if i was given t, then f is the reciprocal of t right?
f=1/t
t=20s
f=1/20
f=0.05Hz right?
another thing,
if 1 is the number of cycles per second, isn't it also a variable?
so if i know the freqeuncy which is 0.05 Hz, and the T is 20s, then the number of cycles is
0.05*20=1
this confuses me,
does this always happen, is the number of cycles multipliedd by the freuqeuncy always one ?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Frequency", ##f##, is the number of cycles per unit time (normally one second).

"Time", ##t##, in this context is the time for each cycle.

So, by definition: ##t = 1/f; f = 1/t; ft = 1##

It's perhaps less confusing to say that frequency is one over the period, where the period is the time taken for one cycle of whatever it is that's oscillating. "Time", in my mind, is a much more general concept (12 o'clock is a time, but one over 12 o'clock makes no sense), so I find the statement "frequency is one over time" to be difficult to pin down. Using "period" instead helps me keep concepts straight.

Likes Dale, DrClaude and PeroK

1. What is frequency and how is it related to 1/t?

Frequency is the number of occurrences of a repeating event per unit of time. It is inversely related to 1/t, where t is the time period of the event. This means that as the time period decreases, the frequency increases and vice versa.

2. How is frequency measured?

Frequency is typically measured in hertz (Hz), which is equivalent to one cycle per second. Other common units of frequency include kilohertz (kHz), megahertz (MHz), and gigahertz (GHz).

3. What is the difference between frequency and wavelength?

Frequency and wavelength are two different ways of measuring the same phenomenon - the movement of a wave. Frequency measures the number of waves that pass a given point in a unit of time, while wavelength measures the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave.

4. How does frequency affect the energy of a wave?

The frequency of a wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the frequency increases, the energy of the wave also increases. This is why higher frequency waves, such as gamma rays and x-rays, are more energetic than lower frequency waves, like radio waves.

5. How is frequency used in everyday life?

Frequency has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in radio and television broadcasting, cell phone communication, and Wi-Fi signals. It is also used in medical imaging technologies, such as ultrasound and MRI, and in musical instruments to produce different pitches.