Friction and blocks, pulling force resolving

In summary, a textbook problem involving the coefficient of friction between surfaces and masses was discussed. The problem involved a block being pulled by a force and the friction between two masses being twice as much for one compared to the other. The correct answer was provided in the book, but the person posting was getting half of that answer. They realized they had made a mistake and re-did the problem, getting the correct answer. However, the special case mentioned in the book was an uncommon assumption, making the textbook answer unsure. The person posting is a graduate student and is seeking assistance in understanding the problem and finding a reliable way to check their answer.
caspernorth
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5831/friction.jpg

The coefficient of friction between surfaces and masses are shown in figure. Here the block M3 is pulled by the force F and for a particular F friction between m2 is twice as that of m1. So what is F? I'm keep getting half the value of correct answer(provided in book), so I won't bias you with the values.
Here g is taken as 10 m/s^2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We do need to see what you tried though.
The most likely mistake is how you set up your free body diagrams.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
We do need to see what you tried though.
The most likely mistake is how you set up your free body diagrams.

So, can I get an answer?

You certainly can.

You don't seem to be getting much joy out of these forums.
Have you read the rules and the help/tutorial-pages on how to get the most out of this place?
The thing to remember here is that we are not an answer mill ... that would be cheating.
It is your homework, you have to do the work - that is how you learn.

I think I gave the wrong impression here. This is not a homework, I'm a graduate student as a matter of fact. This was a problem I saw while searching for an equation in an old textbook of mine. I just worked out the problem at my office and got an answer which turns out to be half the provided answer. I made a mistake which they have specially noted separately to be aware of in a small column and i re-did it and got the answer. But that special case they mentioned is quite an uncommon assumption; so I'm not sure of the textbook answer either and that's why I posted it here.

You posted in the homework forums so...

So it seems your problem is not that you cannot do it then. The first step to solving a problem is to identify it.
Since you are a grad student, you should understand the approach.

What is it about the textbook problem that gave you pause?
I am sure you have fellow grad students who you can show to see if they get the same answer you did - but that doesn't really help does it? As a grad student you are training to solve problems that nobody knows the answer to... you really need some way to be able to tell when you are right.

Without knowing how you handled the problem, I cannot see how you think, so cannot give a good answer.

Last edited:

1. What is friction and how does it affect blocks?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It affects blocks by making it harder for them to move across a surface, as it creates resistance between the two surfaces.

2. How is the amount of friction determined?

The amount of friction is determined by the types of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and any irregularities or roughness on the surfaces.

3. How does pulling force affect the motion of blocks?

Pulling force can either increase or decrease the motion of blocks, depending on the direction of the force and the direction of the block's motion. If the pulling force is in the same direction as the block's motion, it will increase its speed. If the pulling force is in the opposite direction, it will decrease the block's speed.

4. What is the role of resolving forces in understanding blocks and pulling force?

Resolving forces is the process of breaking down a single force into its components in different directions. In the context of blocks and pulling force, resolving forces can help us understand the different forces acting on the block and how they affect its motion.

5. How does friction affect the calculation of pulling force needed to move a block?

Friction affects the calculation of pulling force by increasing the amount of force needed to move a block. This is because friction creates resistance between the surfaces, making it harder for the block to move. Therefore, a greater pulling force is needed to overcome this resistance and move the block.