Friction and harmonic motion

In summary: Since the acceleration of the small block is limited by the force of the spring, and the maximum amplitude of the motion is limited by the force of the spring, the maximum amplitude of the motion is limited to .166 meters.
ViewtifulBeau
Two blocks (m = 0.468 kg and M = 2.41 kg) and a spring (k = 24.1 N/m) are arranged on a horizontal, frictionless surface. Block m is situated on top of block M. (Spring attached to block M) The coefficient of static friction between the two blocks is 0.873. What is the maximum possible amplitude of simple harmonic motion of the spring/blocks system if no slippage is to occur between the blocks?

Im not too sure what to do with this problem, I think i have to match up the normal force on the top block with the force of the spring on the bottom. but I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
In order for the large block (mass M) to move without slippage of the small block (mass m), the acceleration (a) of the small block must be such that the force F=ma, must not exceed [itex]\mu[/itex]mg.

The spring imposes a force on (M+m), and the spring force Fspring[/sup] = kx.

i did that and i got .166 meters. umg = .873*9.81*.468 = 4.008 N
F(spring) = kx
4.008 = 24.1 * x
x = .166 meters.

and this is not right. What am i doing wrong?

The block on top, m, are also experiencing SHM. The force that causes it to experience SHM is the frictional force. Since this force has an upper limit it puts a limit on the maximum acceleration the top block can experience. Are the acceleration of the two blocks the same during the motion?

F(spring) = kx
4.008 = 24.1 * x
The spring force must be applied to the combined mass (m+M) = 0.468+2.41 kg, but one needs the acceleration of the combined mass to determine F, from which one applies F = kx or x = F/k.

The problem then is - what is the acceleration of the combined blocks, knowing that the small block and large block accelerate together?

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion of two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the irregularities and imperfections on the surfaces, which create resistance when they come into contact and slide against each other.

2. How does friction affect harmonic motion?

Friction can dampen the amplitude of harmonic motion, causing the oscillations to gradually decrease in size. This is because friction converts the kinetic energy of the system into heat energy, reducing the overall energy of the system and causing it to eventually come to a stop.

3. Can friction be completely eliminated in harmonic motion?

No, it is impossible to completely eliminate friction in any system. However, engineers and scientists can minimize its effects by using materials with low coefficients of friction, lubricants, and designing systems with minimal contact points between surfaces.

4. How is friction related to the frequency of harmonic motion?

Friction can affect the frequency of harmonic motion by altering the natural frequency of the system. As friction reduces the energy of the system, the natural frequency decreases, resulting in slower oscillations.

5. How can friction be calculated in harmonic motion?

The amount of friction can be calculated using the coefficient of friction, which is a dimensionless constant that represents the ratio of the frictional force to the normal force between two surfaces. This value can be determined experimentally or through theoretical calculations based on the properties of the surfaces in contact.