Friction Directions: What Makes Friction Uphill?

• Thread starter ascky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: In a sense, yeah, but this wasnt Dan's point. Dan was saying how if you initially threw the cylinder up the ramp, then as it is rolling up, the friction force will point down the ramp (friction always acts opposite the direction of motion). Once the cylinder stopped rolling and started rolling back down, the friction force will start pointing up the ramp.
ascky
Just a quick question that I can't figure out the answer to...

I know that if I have a car accelerating forwards, the friction force will be forwards to oppose the relative motion between the wheel and road. Now if I put, say, a cylinder on a slope, the friction force will be uphill (I think?)... why is it uphill?

Physics news on Phys.org
ascky said:
Just a quick question that I can't figure out the answer to...

I know that if I have a car accelerating forwards, the friction force will be forwards to oppose the relative motion between the wheel and road. Now if I put, say, a cylinder on a slope, the friction force will be uphill (I think?)... why is it uphill?

Friction always acts in a direction that tends to oppose motion. For a cylinder on a slope gravity tends to pull the cylinder down the slope, so friction acts in the opposite direction IF you start the cylinder from rest. Friction could be directed up the slope under other conditions, such as if you were rolling the cylinder up the slope.

Simplify your car tire to a cylinder rolling down a slope :)

OlderDan said:
Friction always acts in a direction that tends to oppose motion. For a cylinder on a slope gravity tends to pull the cylinder down the slope, so friction acts in the opposite direction IF you start the cylinder from rest.

I still don't understand what it means to 'act in a direction to oppose motion'. To oppose the motion of what exactly?

whozum said:
Simplify your car tire to a cylinder rolling down a slope :)

Good point. :smile: So friction acts differently when things start stationary and when they're moving...?

ascky said:
Good point. :smile: So friction acts differently when things start stationary and when they're moving...?

In a sense, yeah, but this wasnt Dan's point. Dan was saying how if you initially threw the cylinder up the ramp, then as it is rolling up, the friction force will point down the ramp (friction always acts opposite the direction of motion). Once the cylinder stopped rolling and started rolling back down, the friction force will start pointing up the ramp.

Mmm, ok. Thanks for the replies.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the irregularities on the surfaces and the interlocking of the molecules.

2. How does friction affect the direction of an object?

Friction can act in any direction, but its direction is always opposite to the direction of motion or the intended motion of an object. This means that if an object is moving uphill, the direction of friction will be downhill.

3. Why does friction make objects go uphill?

Friction makes objects go uphill because it acts in the opposite direction of motion. When an object is moving uphill, the frictional force acts in the opposite direction, helping to slow down and stop the object from rolling back down the hill.

4. How does the weight of an object affect friction?

The weight of an object has a direct impact on the amount of friction it experiences. The heavier the object, the greater its normal force (the force pressing the surfaces together) will be, resulting in a greater frictional force.

5. Can friction ever act uphill?

Technically, friction can act uphill, but it is not the most common scenario. In certain situations, such as on a ramp or incline, the direction of friction may be uphill if the force of gravity is not strong enough to overcome the frictional force and the object begins to slide back down the incline.