Will the cart make it through the sand pile and at what speed will it exit?

In summary, a 380 g cart with an initial velocity of 0.850i m/s at x = 0, experiences a temporary pull by a magnet and then runs into a pile of sand. The x component of the net force on the cart is represented by a graph. Using the kinetic energy formula and finding the area under the curve of the graph, it is determined that the cart will roll all the way through the pile of sand. The speed at which the cart exits at x = 7.00 cm is approximately 0.715 m/s. This is because the work done by the net force is equal to the kinetic energy of the cart, and any remaining kinetic energy will cause the
jessedevin

Homework Statement

A 380 g cart is rolling along a straight track with velocity 0.850i m/s at x = 0. A student holds a magnet in front of the cart to temporarily pull forward on it, and then the cart runs into a dusting of sand that turns into a small pile. These effects are represented quantitatively by the graph of the x component of the net force on the cart as a function of position in the figure below.
p7-34.gif

(a) Will the cart roll all the way through the pile of sand? Explain how you can tell.

(b) If so, find the speed at which it exits at x = 7.00 cm. If not, what maximum x coordinate does it reach?

Homework Equations

W= (F)(d)cos(theta)
W= [tex]\int[/tex] F dx
KE= 1/2(m)(v)2

The Attempt at a Solution

I no that it does roll all the way through the pile of sand, but I am not sure why. Can someone please explain why.

To do the second part, what I did was use the kinetic energy formula above, and set the kinetic energy to the work involved. I found the amount of work done by finding the area under the curve of the graph, and adding each of the areas. For the work, i got:
W= [tex]\int[/tex] F dx
W= (2)(1) +1/2(4)(3=)= 8 Ncm --> .08 Nm
Then I set the kinetic energy equal to work
W=KE
.08= .5(.380kg)v2
v= .65 m/s

I know this is wrong, so can someone help me please!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jessedevin said:

Homework Statement

A 380 g cart is rolling along a straight track with velocity 0.850i m/s at x = 0. A student holds a magnet in front of the cart to temporarily pull forward on it, and then the cart runs into a dusting of sand that turns into a small pile. These effects are represented quantitatively by the graph of the x component of the net force on the cart as a function of position in the figure below.
p7-34.gif

(a) Will the cart roll all the way through the pile of sand? Explain how you can tell.

(b) If so, find the speed at which it exits at x = 7.00 cm. If not, what maximum x coordinate does it reach?

Homework Equations

W= (F)(d)cos(theta)
W= [tex]\int[/tex] F dx
KE= 1/2(m)(v)2

The Attempt at a Solution

I no that it does roll all the way through the pile of sand, but I am not sure why. Can someone please explain why.

To do the second part, what I did was use the kinetic energy formula above, and set the kinetic energy to the work involved. I found the amount of work done by finding the area under the curve of the graph, and adding each of the areas. For the work, i got:
W= [tex]\int[/tex] F dx
W= (2)(1) +1/2(4)(3=)= 8 Ncm --> .08 Nm
Then I set the kinetic energy equal to work
W=KE
.08= .5(.380kg)v2
v= .65 m/s

I know this is wrong, so can someone help me please!

What is the initial KE of the cart at x=0?
Then what does each block of area on the graph represent?
Looks to me like each square represents 1*(.01)N-m = .01N-m

As the cart moves then area above the line is added to the Initial KE, area below is subtracted.

The velocity at any point then is given by converting the KE to mv2/2

LowlyPion said:
What is the initial KE of the cart at x=0?
Then what does each block of area on the graph represent?
Looks to me like each square represents 1*(.01)N-m = .01N-m

As the cart moves then area above the line is added to the Initial KE, area below is subtracted.

The velocity at any point then is given by converting the KE to mv2/2

Well I first have to ask does the work equal the kinetic energy of the cart?

The initial KE f the cart is:
KE= .5mv2= .5(.38)(.850)2= .137 J
Okay, so now if I use this KE and add it with the KE i got from the graph, which is -.04, I get .097 J.
Then I use the KE formula again, so
.097=.5(.380)v2
v=.715 m/s
So that's right, i think, but can you explain to me why the cart roll all the way through the pile of sand?

jessedevin said:
Well I first have to ask does the work equal the kinetic energy of the cart?

The initial KE f the cart is:
KE= .5mv2= .5(.38)(.850)2= .137 J
Okay, so now if I use this KE and add it with the KE i got from the graph, which is -.04, I get .097 J.
Then I use the KE formula again, so
.097=.5(.380)v2
v=.715 m/s
So that's right, i think, but can you explain to me why the cart roll all the way through the pile of sand?

If it gets to the other side and still has kinetic energy left over what else is it going to do?

LowlyPion said:
If it gets to the other side and still has kinetic energy left over what else is it going to do?

lol thanks...

1. What is a friction force graph problem?

A friction force graph problem is a type of problem in physics that involves analyzing the relationship between friction force and other variables, such as mass, normal force, and surface area. It typically requires the use of a graph to visualize and interpret the data.

2. How do I draw a friction force graph?

To draw a friction force graph, you will need to plot the values of friction force on the y-axis and the corresponding values of the other variable (e.g. mass) on the x-axis. Then, you can connect the points with a line to create the graph.

3. What is the significance of a slope in a friction force graph?

The slope of a friction force graph represents the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the force required to overcome the friction between two surfaces. A steeper slope indicates a higher coefficient of friction, while a flatter slope indicates a lower coefficient of friction.

4. How do I interpret the shape of a friction force graph?

The shape of a friction force graph can provide insights into the nature of the surfaces in contact. For example, a linear graph suggests that the coefficient of friction remains constant, while a curved graph may indicate changes in the coefficient of friction as the variables change.

5. What are some real-world applications of friction force graph problems?

Friction force graph problems have many practical applications, such as in engineering, where understanding the relationship between friction force and other variables can help in designing efficient machines and structures. They are also used in sports, such as determining the optimal surface for a track to reduce friction for runners.