Find Force Exerted on Blocks Sliding Down a Rough Incline

• Thread starter koolbaseman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, Two blocks with masses of 2.500 kg and 3.100 kg slide down a 30.0 degree incline with coefficients of friction of .2300 and .5100, respectively. The acceleration of the pair is 1.6336 meters per second squared. To find the force exerted by the lighter block on the heavier one, the sum of the forces is taken (including gravity and friction on both objects) and divided by the total mass of the objects, resulting in a force of 1.6886.
koolbaseman
Two blocks (m1 = 2.500 kg and m2 = 3.100 kg) slide down a rough 30.0 degree incline.
µ1 = .2300 for the lighter block
µ2 = .5100 for the heavier block
a) Determine the acceleration of the pair.

b) Calculate the force the lighter block exerts on the heavier one.

there is a picture as an attachment (couldn't figure out how to just put it on).

i think i have found the acceleration of the objects i got 1.6336 meter per second squared but i don't know how to find the force on the second object.

I took the sum of the forces which included (m1)(gravity)(sin30)-friction on that object + (m2)(gravity)(sin30)- friction of that object) all over (m1 + m2). to get 1.6886

Attachments

• blocks.JPG
    blocks.JPG
    2.6 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what work have you done so far? We can help put you in the right direction, but we won't do all of your work for you

i think i have found the acceleration of the objects i got 1.6336 meter per second squared but i don't know how to find the force on the second object.

I took the sum of the forces which included (m1)(gravity)(sin30)-friction on that object + (m2)(gravity)(sin30)- friction of that object) all over (m1 + m2). to get 1.6886

Last edited:

Related to Find Force Exerted on Blocks Sliding Down a Rough Incline

What is the formula for finding the force exerted on blocks sliding down a rough incline?

The formula for finding the force exerted on blocks sliding down a rough incline is F = mg(sinθ - μcosθ), where F is the force exerted, m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of incline, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

How does the angle of incline affect the force exerted on blocks sliding down a rough incline?

The force exerted on blocks sliding down a rough incline increases as the angle of incline increases. This is because as the angle increases, the component of the force due to gravity pulling the block down the incline also increases.

What is the coefficient of friction and how does it affect the force exerted on blocks sliding down a rough incline?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the friction between two surfaces in contact. It affects the force exerted on blocks sliding down a rough incline because it determines how much of the force due to gravity is used to overcome friction rather than accelerate the block down the incline.

Why is it important to consider the roughness of the incline when calculating the force exerted on blocks sliding down a rough incline?

The roughness of the incline affects the coefficient of friction, which in turn affects the force exerted on blocks sliding down the incline. A rougher incline will have a higher coefficient of friction, resulting in a greater force needed to overcome friction and accelerate the block down the incline.

How does the mass of the block affect the force exerted on blocks sliding down a rough incline?

The force exerted on blocks sliding down a rough incline is directly proportional to the mass of the block. This means that as the mass increases, so does the force exerted. This is because a heavier block requires more force to accelerate down the incline.