Friction on an inclined plane (freebody diag. included)

In summary, the maximum angle the plane can be at for the crate to stay at rest is 36.8 degrees. This is determined by setting the downward force of gravity equal to the upward force of friction, calculated using the weight of the crate and the frictional coefficient. The normal force must also be taken into account when calculating the friction force.
iheartbeer

Homework Statement

what is the max angle the plane can be at so that the crate stays at rest.

static friction coefficient: 0.60
mass of crate: 10kg
max angle of plane: ?my free body diagram http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/tylerc13/physprob.jpg

my approach:

I set it up so that the forces of +mg and -mgUk would = 0. My train of thought was that if they canceled each other out there would be no movement... guess not.

edit: i just realized I am not incorporating the frictional coefficient into this, and i might have it a bit backwards. would my positive (downward) force be mg*sin theta and the my negative (upward resistance from friction) force be N*Uk ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
my *NEW* free body diagram http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/tylerc13/physprob-1.jpg

my *NEW* approach:

I reworked my free body diagram and i think i have it setup right, the upward force of friction is the weight in Newtons multiplied by the frictional coefficient. the downward force on the crate is the weight in Newtons multiplied by the sine of the angle of the plane.

my thoughts are that if the angle must be such that it puts less force on the crate than force of friction the crate has at rest.

so i calculated the force of friction on the crate as being N*Uk which is (mg)Uk or (10*9.8)*0.60 = 58.8N

i figured then that the downward force exerted by gravity and the slope must not exceed this value so i used 58.7N as my target downward force to max the angle without going over the frictional force, thus keeping the crate in place.

so i set mg*sin theta = 58.7 getting 98*sin theta = 58.7 then dividing both sides by 98 i get; sin theta= 58.7/98 or

sin theta = .59898 then inverse sin .59898 to get an angle of 36.8 degrees

but this answer is getting marked wrong... where and I going wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
the upslope friction force is NOT the weight times the coefficient of friction. It is the c.o.f times the normal force which you marked as N. What is N equal to?

Also, whichever value you get for the friction force, use it in your calculations (aka don't use 58.7 instead of 58.8) because when the forces are equal, the mass still doesn't move. it is when the downslope force becomes greater then the max friction force that the block starts accelerating down.

1. What is friction on an inclined plane?

Friction on an inclined plane refers to the resistance or force that opposes the motion of an object as it slides or rolls down an inclined surface.

2. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect friction?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the greater the force of friction will be. This is because the weight of the object is acting more perpendicular to the surface, increasing the normal force and therefore the friction force.

3. What is a free body diagram and how is it used in relation to friction on an inclined plane?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. In the case of friction on an inclined plane, the diagram would include the weight of the object, the normal force, and the friction force, which are all important in calculating the net force and acceleration of the object.

4. How does the coefficient of friction play a role in friction on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how "rough" or "slippery" a surface is. A higher coefficient of friction means that there is more resistance to motion, resulting in a higher friction force on the inclined plane.

5. Can friction on an inclined plane be reduced or eliminated?

While friction on an inclined plane cannot be completely eliminated, it can be reduced by using smooth surfaces or lubricants. Additionally, reducing the angle of the inclined plane can also decrease the force of friction acting on the object.