1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction Problem of a auto

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car traveling at 20 m/s stops in a distance of 50m. Assume that the acceleration is constant. The coefficients of friction between a passenger and the seat are u_s = 0.5 and u_k = 0.3. Will a 70 kg passenger slide off the seat if not wearing a seat belt? Prove it.

2. Relevant equations

f_s(max) = u_s*N
    x_f = x_i + v_i*t + 1/2 at^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the first equations to find that f_s(max) is equal to 343N and the second to find that the acceleration is -4m/s^2. I don't know where to go from here. Please, I need this for class tomorrow morning! Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The force acting on the passenger to decelerate him is the static friction of the seat. How much acceleration can a force of up to 343N deliver to a 70kg passenger? As much as 4m/sec? (Put units on numbers, please, makes things clearer).

4. Sep 21, 2007 #3
    That's the problem, I don't know how to find that out.

5. Sep 21, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Uh, F=ma?

6. Sep 21, 2007 #5
    Haha, should've known that one. Ok, so a comes out to be 4.9m/s^2, which is greater than 4m/s^2. So does that mean that the seat can hold the passenger up to 4.9m/s^2, therefore he does not slide off the seat? Where does u_k come in?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  7. Sep 21, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just as you say, static friction is enough to hold the passenger. If you were to push the passenger so he starts sliding then you would use u_k to conclude kinetic friction isn't enough to stop him from continuing to slide.

8. Sep 21, 2007 #7
    Ok, great, thanks so much for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?