Will a Passenger Slide Off the Seat Without a Seat Belt?

In summary: Uh, F=ma?Haha, should've known that one. Ok, so a comes out to be 4.9m/s^2, which is greater than 4m/s^2. So does that mean that the seat can hold the passenger up to 4.9m/s^2, therefore he does not slide off the seat? Where does u_k come in?Just as you say, static friction is enough to hold the passenger. If you were to push the passenger so he starts sliding then you would use u_k to conclude kinetic friction isn't enough to stop him from continuing to slide.Ok, great, thanks so much for your help!
Sean77771

Homework Statement

A car traveling at 20 m/s stops in a distance of 50m. Assume that the acceleration is constant. The coefficients of friction between a passenger and the seat are u_s = 0.5 and u_k = 0.3. Will a 70 kg passenger slide off the seat if not wearing a seat belt? Prove it.

Homework Equations

f_s(max) = u_s*N
x_f = x_i + v_i*t + 1/2 at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the first equations to find that f_s(max) is equal to 343N and the second to find that the acceleration is -4m/s^2. I don't know where to go from here. Please, I need this for class tomorrow morning! Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The force acting on the passenger to decelerate him is the static friction of the seat. How much acceleration can a force of up to 343N deliver to a 70kg passenger? As much as 4m/sec? (Put units on numbers, please, makes things clearer).

Dick said:
The force acting on the passenger to decelerate him is the static friction of the seat. How much acceleration can a force of up to 343N deliver to a 70kg passenger? As much as 4m/sec? (Put units on numbers, please, makes things clearer).

That's the problem, I don't know how to find that out.

Sean77771 said:
That's the problem, I don't know how to find that out.

Uh, F=ma?

Haha, should've known that one. Ok, so a comes out to be 4.9m/s^2, which is greater than 4m/s^2. So does that mean that the seat can hold the passenger up to 4.9m/s^2, therefore he does not slide off the seat? Where does u_k come in?

Last edited:
Just as you say, static friction is enough to hold the passenger. If you were to push the passenger so he starts sliding then you would use u_k to conclude kinetic friction isn't enough to stop him from continuing to slide.

Ok, great, thanks so much for your help!

1. What is friction and how does it affect a car?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of two surfaces that are in contact with each other. In a car, friction plays a crucial role in allowing the car to move forward and stop when necessary. Without friction, the tires would not be able to grip the road and the car would not be able to move.

2. What are some common causes of friction problems in cars?

Some common causes of friction problems in cars include worn-out brake pads, low tire pressure, and dirty or damaged brake calipers. These issues can lead to reduced friction between the tires and the road, resulting in difficulty in braking and handling the car.

3. How can friction problems in a car be detected?

Friction problems in a car can be detected through a few signs, such as squeaking or grinding noises when braking, a vibrating steering wheel, or uneven tire wear. It is important to regularly check and maintain the car's brakes and tires to prevent friction problems from occurring.

4. Can friction problems in a car be fixed?

Yes, friction problems in a car can be fixed. Depending on the cause of the friction problem, solutions may include replacing worn-out brake pads, inflating tires to the correct pressure, or cleaning and repairing brake calipers. It is important to address friction problems promptly to avoid any safety hazards while driving.

5. How can I prevent friction problems in my car?

To prevent friction problems in your car, it is important to regularly maintain and service your brakes and tires. This includes replacing brake pads when necessary, keeping tires inflated to the correct pressure, and checking for any damage or debris in the brake calipers. Additionally, driving responsibly and avoiding sudden or harsh braking can also help prevent friction problems in your car.