Friction problem- possible error in Halliday/Resnick

In summary, the child is saying that in order to solve for F in part a), they need to take the limit when force goes to infinity. When the angle is less than θ0, no amount of force will be able to move the mop.
Syrus

Homework Statement

See attachment. I am only concerned with part b). Part a) is solved.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See attachment. The solution is quoted to be tan-1s) = θ0, but, as can be seen by my solution, this is impossible based on the derivation. Is this their error, or mine?

Attachments

• IMAG0536.jpg
    IMAG0536.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 459
  • IMAG0537.jpg
    IMAG0537.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What did you do for part a?
Not sure if it will work, but try taking your answer for part a, and having v->0.

I solved for F in part a). I display the results (verified correct) at the top of the page. I'd like to see how the value for theta naught is explicity obtained.

You said the solution is tan(μs) = θ0. Do you mean tan-1s) = θ0?

Yes, apologies- it's edited now.

Well, just take the limit when force goes to infinity. When the angle is less than θ0, no amount of force will be able to move the mop.

I considered that, but I wondered if there were any better ways of showing this. Plus, this example is from an elementary (Halliday/Resnick) text, and such un-straightforward proofs seem unwarranted in problem-solving. Just some thoughts. Is an explicit derivation out of the question?

This seems like one of the more "challenging" problems. As such, more out-of-the-box thinking is required. This method is pretty good as it stands. What would you consider a "better" way?
Why is this an "un-straightforward proof" or not "an explicit derivation"?

Fair enough. The only reason I said what I did above was becuase other problems and results derived throughout the book are a bit more explicit in using Newton's laws to demonstrate the results. I can accept this method, just inquiring about other manners.

The value for F should be multiplied by μk.

You overcomplicate the problem a bit.
You got [tex]F=\frac{mg\mu_k}{\sin(\theta)-\mu_k \cos(\theta)}[/tex]
The mop is pushed, so it can not be negative. What does it mean for theta?

ehild

1. How do I know if there is a possible error in the Halliday/Resnick friction problem?

To determine if there is a possible error in the Halliday/Resnick friction problem, you can first review the problem and its solution to see if there are any inconsistencies or mathematical errors. You can also consult with other experts or colleagues in the field to get their opinion on the problem.

2. What should I do if I find a possible error in the Halliday/Resnick friction problem?

If you believe there is a possible error in the Halliday/Resnick friction problem, you can first contact the authors or publishers of the book to report the issue. You can also publish your findings in a scientific journal or online forum to bring attention to the error.

3. Are there any resources available to help me understand the Halliday/Resnick friction problem better?

Yes, there are many resources available that can help you understand the Halliday/Resnick friction problem better. You can consult with other experts in the field, attend workshops or conferences, and utilize online resources such as textbooks or video lectures.

4. Is it common to find errors in scientific problems like the Halliday/Resnick friction problem?

It is not uncommon to find errors in scientific problems, especially in textbooks or other published materials. This is why it is important to review and critically evaluate information before accepting it as fact.

5. How can we prevent errors in scientific problems like the Halliday/Resnick friction problem?

To prevent errors in scientific problems, it is important for authors and publishers to thoroughly review and fact-check their materials before publication. It is also important for readers to critically evaluate information and report any potential errors they may find.