1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction Question

1. Feb 22, 2008 #1
    Okay I was just wondering exactly how I'm supposed to know of where to put my forces once I get them from what I'm given in the problem because I know how to break up for example the W in my problem into its components or units (I,J) I just don't know which direction to put them on the titled axis. Because for example on my picture the W Force is pointing down yet my book says = 16.38i - 11.47 j and the F force is pointing right but my book says the components are = -3.83i - 3.21j...

I got those numbers just not where they go on the tilted axes. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2008 #2
    Remember that weight always points straight down, no matter how you rotate the axes. I guess you're doing that in the diagram, but it's hard to read it.

Are i and j still unit vectors in the unrotated axes or the rotated ones? I'm assuming the book means rotated, since weight is just in the j direction unrotated. So, you have to break up the weight force into components on your rotated axes. On the bottom picture, there should be the weight force along -i and -j. (assuming +i is up the ramp, +j is northwest perpendicular)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?