Magnitude and Direction of Frictional Force on a Moving Object

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the resulting acceleration and frictional force acting on a 30 kg box with a horizontal force of 110 N to the right. For (i), the resulting acceleration is calculated to be 3.67 m/s^2. For (ii), the magnitude and direction of the frictional force is solved by first finding the net force and then using the formula for static friction. The conversation then moves on to discussing the maximal static frictional force between a blocking sled and grass, with the formula for calculating this force being mentioned.
pennywise1234

Homework Statement

You pull on a 30 kg box with a horizontal force of 110 N to the right. (i) If there are no other forces acting on this box, what is the resulting acceleration? (ii) If the resulting acceleration of the block is only 1.6 m/s, what is the magnitude and direction of the frictional force acting on the block

The Attempt at a Solution

For (i) a- f/m and I got a=3.67

i have no idea how to solve for (ii) i thought it would f=m times a, but i have no idea where to start/solve any help, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
pennywise1234 said:
i thought it would f=m times a
You know m and a, so you can calculate F, the net force acting on the block. This net force has two components.

so f= 30 x 1.6=48
110-48=62N
correct ?

subtract because it moving in the negative direction, right?

im also stuck on static frictional force question

The static co-efficient of friction between a football blocking sled (90 kg) and grass is 0.56. (i) If an80 kg coach stands on top of the blocking sled, what is the maximal static frictional force?

any hints on the formula to apply?

Which formulas do you have for (maximal) static friction?

i do not, i was curious to find out which one to use?

do i have to find the net force?

pennywise1234 said:
i do not, i was curious to find out which one to use?
There should be exactly one.
pennywise1234 said:
do i have to find the net force?
You have to find the maximal force before block+trainer start to move.

i have fs(max) = c0efficient of static friction x normal force x 9.81

pennywise1234 said:
normal force x 9.81
That part is not correct, even if you add the missing units.

What is frictional force and how does it affect objects?

Frictional force is a type of force that resists the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface. This force is caused by the microscopic irregularities of the two surfaces and the intermolecular forces between them. Frictional force can either help or hinder the movement of an object, depending on the direction of the force.

How is frictional force measured?

Frictional force is typically measured in newtons (N) using a device called a dynamometer. This device measures the amount of force required to move an object against a surface with constant velocity. The greater the force needed to move the object, the higher the frictional force.

What factors affect the amount of frictional force?

The amount of frictional force between two surfaces is affected by several factors, including the roughness and texture of the surfaces, the weight of the objects, and the type and amount of lubrication present. Additionally, the normal force, or the force perpendicular to the surface, plays a significant role in determining the amount of frictional force present.

How does frictional force impact everyday life?

Frictional force has a significant impact on our daily lives, from allowing us to walk without slipping to causing wear and tear on machines and equipment. It also plays a crucial role in transportation, as friction is necessary for tires to grip the road and for brakes to work effectively. Furthermore, frictional force is used in many industrial processes, such as sanding and polishing, to create friction and remove material.

How can frictional force be reduced?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces to minimize the contact between them. Additionally, using smoother or more polished surfaces can also reduce friction. Another way to reduce friction is by using wheels or rollers instead of sliding surfaces, as they have less contact and therefore less friction. Reducing the weight of objects or using anti-friction coatings can also help to decrease frictional force.